• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RHD Brake booster delete - S14 conversion

DawieM3

Hi Guys,

Have done a search and found some good info, but all tends to be for the LHD cars, and my car is RHD.

Nearing the end of my rebuild / S14 conversion that will see me using Porsche 4 pot Brembo callipers on the front and standard E30 325i rear disk brakes at the rear to start with. Car will spend more time on track than on the road but will need to be useable on the road for trips to the Ring in Germany every now and then.

Basic car is a RHD 2002A that has been converted to S14 with euro dogleg box, manual rack and pinion, complete E30 rear subframe including disc brakes, 3.64 LSD, Roll cage, Alpina wings all round, alloy fuel tank, coil overs, poly bushings, rear toe adjusters and a bare metal respray.

I`m wanting to convert the dual line brake system to a single line front brake sustem and am looking for infomation, pic`s on the following if possible, and if anyone has already done this.

1. Retain possibly 1 brake booster with standard RHD single circuit master cylinder

2 Delete the brake boosters all togather and change MC along with modifying std RHD pedal box

3 Modify RHD pedal box for twin MC`s and ballance bar

4. Source an existing proven RHD bolt in and play solution .

Any help and tips appreciated.

Regards

post-12128-13667605000223_thumb.jpg

post-12128-13667605001768_thumb.jpg

E30 M3 Track Car

E30 C2 2.7 Alpina

2002 - S14 Alipina rep ( Build in Progress )

2002 - M10 Awaiting rebuild

2002 - M10 Turbo Awaiting Rebuild

3 x 2002 Stripped for spares

E36 M3 Evo

Frontera for towing

Hi David - why not simply try what you've got? Same MC (which is attached direct to the pedal box on RHD cars - just an FYI for all you left handed folk) and either plum it direct to a single line system, or as you suggested use just one of the remote servos with a T piece for the front lines. I'm going to try the latter with the rebuild for the same reasons (single line circuit).

I'd also email the UK jiglu list - more RHD experience there, esp from John Hudson - he's bound to have been there and done that several times.

Cheers, Nick

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys,

Nick,

Whats the UK jiglu list ? Never heard of it.

I been un decided about the which way to go on the brakes for a few weeks now, and with the weight of the booster thinking wether its worth its weight in performance terms.

I had a long chat with Alex yesterday to find out what had been done on the DC car he aquired, but its all missing, so he won`t have an advantage in the brakes department. Nice to know he plays with Turbo`s for a living ( Next Project )

Hopefully the UK lads will respond, or I can get in contact with JH.

Many thanks,

Cheers,

Dave

E30 M3 Track Car

E30 C2 2.7 Alpina

E36 M3 Evo

Frontera for towing

DB

Thanks for the pics. Food for thought. My car is already painted so I`m also trying to avoid any welding onto the bodywork at the moment, hence looking for a bolt in option.

What size MC are in that settup ?

Cheers,

Dave

E30 M3 Track Car

E30 C2 2.7 Alpina

E36 M3 Evo

Frontera for towing

Thanks Dave,

Would be appreciated if you could find out the MC sizes, and also what callipers he is using front and rear to give an overall view of his system.

Many Thanks,

Cheers,

Dave

E30 M3 Track Car

E30 C2 2.7 Alpina

E36 M3 Evo

Frontera for towing

I don't think the weight of one servo is really going to make a measurable difference in lap times! I know every ounce counts, but you can get a bit too obsessive (a word familiar to most people here I'm sure).

Colin Gallie runs boosterless on his road going M2 - email me direct if you want his contact details. So did Pat Tremain - Richard will have his details.

Jiglu:

http://bmw02.jiglu.com/

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

Nick,

I have Colins number so will give him a ring. I agree that people can get anal about weight saving, but if you start off building a car as light as you can, by the end of the build you should hopefully have gained power to weight wise. Pity the driver is not so easy to trim down.

Thanks for the link to the site.

E30 M3 Track Car

E30 C2 2.7 Alpina

E36 M3 Evo

Frontera for towing

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, I could not get onto the fella with the 2002. However, I asked Wilwood tech and another race brake what sized master cylinders for the following spec.

Spec: Wilwood pedal box (5.1:1 ratio 340-4828) for the BMW 2002.

Front: Wilwood Superlite calipers with 44.5mm pistons (120-7429-R/L) with Wilwood UL 299mm x 32mm rotors (160-2898/160-2899).

Rear: e21 323i rotors 258mm x 10mm with e30 calipers (33mm pistons).

No boosters

Wilwood suggested as a starting point: 7/8" master cylinder for the front Superlites and a 1" bore for the rear 323i calipers. The local fella said "most start with 5/8 front 3/4 rear and experiment from there".

David

4bdcfba4.jpg