• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need a new starter...Which one and Why?

jrhone

Hello all. Ive been lurking on this site for a little under a year, and have found tons of great info. Im a little ignorant when it comes to cars, so pardon me if the following question is a dumb one.

Anyhow, I recently purchased a 71 1602 and am in need of a new starter, tried searching for info specific to my engine, with no luck. My question is: can I use any of the above mentioned starters for my car?

I checked bap geon and compared part numbers for 2002's and 1602's, and noticed they had different part #'s, so I want to make sure before I purchase the wrong starter. TIA!

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

• 3 months later...

an old thread but i just did this yesterday and wanted to add my .02

the sr441x starter will bolt up to the M10 block. it is lighter than the sr440x and more powerful. HOWEVER, it turns over my stock M10 motor (~8:1 compression) much slower than a stock M10 starter, which means several more cranks before it fires up. for that reason, i recommend getting a stock starter.

an old thread but i just did this yesterday and wanted to add my .02

the sr441x starter will bolt up to the M10 block. it is lighter than the sr440x and more powerful. HOWEVER, it turns over my stock M10 motor (~8:1 compression) much slower than a stock M10 starter, which means several more cranks before it fires up. for that reason, i recommend getting a stock starter.

Are you sure there not something else wrong? Wiring? Weak battery?

My experience is the opposite. My friend has the sr441x, and it spins much FASTER than stock.

I have the E30 M3 starter, it also spins faster.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

...and I guess I missed it first time through, but

I weighed the big old starter and the new lightweight starter

and got

and

pounds

respectively.

fwiw.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL