• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5-Speed Conversion Questions

Greeting All,

I am in the process of putting together parts for a 5-speed conversion for my '76 automatic. As I have a lot to do on the car, budget is an issue. A used, but nice, pedal box was included in the acquisition and I have a line on a tranny. I'll probably go with the 02Haus kit. My questions are:

1. Which shifter perch is preferrable - '02 or e21? Any advantages/disadvantages?

2. I also have a clutch and flywheel. Is there a way to identify a 228mm flywheel besides measuring it?

3. Any suggestions on a performance clutch? Ultimately, I'll be going EFI and turbo (12lbs. max).

Thanks!

SkidMarc

You'll like the 5-speed conversion . . . also worth considering (if you haven't already) is what diff gears you're going to run. A search of the Forum will reveal more than a few opinions on what people like.

Email me regarding the performance clutch, I'll send some details on the lightweight, high-clamping-force racing clutch I'm using (more info to come on a web site coming soon).

-K

You'll like the 5-speed conversion . . . also worth considering (if you haven't already) is what diff gears you're going to run. A search of the Forum will reveal more than a few opinions on what people like.

Email me regarding the performance clutch, I'll send some details on the lightweight, high-clamping-force racing clutch I'm using (more info to come on a web site coming soon).

-K

Would you please let all of us know about your lightweight clutch.

I am looking for one that will be reliable (and safe) at 8000 RPM.

Pictures are not absolutely necessary.

W. B.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

I think the 228mm clutch is actually stout enough to go to 8k.

The 215 is, too, but you just can't double- clutch it repeatedly and hard.

That said, I really like the little Quartermaster 7.25 that GRacer recommended... but it's real work to fit it.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Hi Marc,

Have you seen this link its the same convert as yours.

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/5-speed.html

I did mine last summer you will love how you car drives on the HWY.

let me know if you need any advise.

Julio

'69 2002 (M2 for 2012) daily driver

'71 911 T (2.4s) powered Weekend joyride

'67 VW Crew Cab Turbo truck parts hauler

--------------------------------------------------

www.eurovintageparts.com

Would you please let all of us know about your lightweight clutch.

I am looking for one that will be reliable (and safe) at 8000 RPM.

Pictures are not absolutely necessary.

W. B.

Photos, more info and pricing to come, but here are the basics: It's a bolt-on replacement 215mm; in essence a SACHS clutch with upgraded racing internals including a lightweight 6061 billet pressure plate with composite friction face and heavy-duty fasteners. Engineered for more clamp-load without increasing pedal pressure. It works well with an organic-lined sprung clutch disk (easier on the drivetrain), more specs on that to follow. I use an aluminum flywheel, too, and the net weight reduction yields real performance gains. My new engine is spinning 8K plus.

These will be built to match the racing/car/driver level, though a 'standard' high-performance street version will be available. I'll post more info here, feel free to email me.

Julio,

Thanks for your response! Yeah, I've seen the link. However, my questions are more specific. The gentleman used the perch from the donor car. I was curious if there were any advantages to using a '02 perch vs. a E21 one. Further, I've seen where Z3 stuff was used. Just getting some clarification.

There is no doubt in my mind that going 5-speed is THE way to go. As you are aware, I'm trying to develop a solid plan-of-attack for "restoring" my car while keeping my costs to a minimum without sacrificing quality or performance.

I learned a lot building the FFR Cobra. I see this project as an extension of that one. There will be a lot of lessons learned, no doubt; MegaSquirt, EDIS, turbo, body restoration, etc. - all while keeping the car on the road (daily driver) as much as possible. I look forward to the challenge!

BTW, I never got any "stuff" about your car!

Marc

I think the 228mm clutch is actually stout enough to go to 8k.

The 215 is, too, but you just can't double- clutch it repeatedly and hard.

That said, I really like the little Quartermaster 7.25 that GRacer recommended... but it's real work to fit it.

t

Toby,

Could you provide some more detail about your clutch assembly.

Is it a single disc unit? Is it suitable for the street? Do you have any part numbers and from whom did you purchase it. I have a complete machine shop available, I can make it fit.

Thanks

W. B.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

Hi Marc

I have Dave Varco's kit in my car I very happy with it. If I had more $$ I would have gotten 2002 Haus 5spd kit. My car came with a 228mm flywheel so I did not need to change that part.

http://www.2002parts.com/html/5speedconversion.html

http://www.2002haus.com/kit/index.htm

good luck and have fun,

Julio

'69 2002 (M2 for 2012) daily driver

'71 911 T (2.4s) powered Weekend joyride

'67 VW Crew Cab Turbo truck parts hauler

--------------------------------------------------

www.eurovintageparts.com

WB,

it's the Quartermaster Rally 7.25,

and it's a bear to get part numbers

from QM. I used a different trans, so it would be

different for BMW... it's a 10 x 28mm (???) spline, I think.

Then I cut a stock 215mm flywheel down to fit it,

and made a ring to drive the ring gear- there's a post

a few months back about it. Remarkably easy, weighs #15,

rotational mass is much reduced.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,314279/highlight,flywheel/

Getting a throwout bearing on it was not easy-

I used a trans with a 1" input, so I made the Saab 900 work,

but it's not ideal. The BMW input's too big for the saab part...

so I don't have a solution for the stock trans... yet.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL