• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

O'Hara, my 318is gets some new shoes...

Delia

So, after wearing out my fingers cleaning my basketweaves, I sought out something easier to manage on my daily driver E30 318is.

Craigslist rendered forth a set of 15" x 7" E30 optional wheels called Style 10, or Star-spokes. These have polished lips and painted centers. They were straight but rough.

I took them to Diamond Tire in San Rafael and they took care of me. The wheels were sent out, media blasted and color matched to the new centercaps I'd sourced from BLUNT. The lips got the correct dull polish and clearcoat.

I'd originally considered some Yokohamas, but opted for the cheaper 55-section Dunlops.

It was a bunch of money to get these done, but consiering their rarity (and my fingers) I feel it was money well spent.

BTW, these will fit an 02 with no spacers or other mischief.

Cheers!

Delia

post-169-13667606020086_thumb.jpg

post-169-13667606022484_thumb.jpg

post-169-13667606024511_thumb.jpg

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Nice.... A local BMW CCA member had an automatic '88 E30 with those wheels. It was also red, but was a 4 door. I've never seen another E30 with them.

Wonder how they'd look on an '02?

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

that young lady is a very nice looking car

Thanks, dubya!

I should add that as soon as I had these wheels mounted on the car, I didn't really like them very much...seemed so odd without those "leddle-beedy" bsketweave 14s on the corners. The look grows on you, however. More track and the extra meat of those Dunlops gives this ride some real "stick" in the twisties.

The prices of these "is" models have bottomed-out and appear to be on the rise. I mean, you can add things like a twin-cam, EFI, A/C and a five speed and power windows to your 2002 for some extensive cash, or find a suitable alternative.

(It's also hard to argue with 30+ mpg on the highway.)

;)

Next on the list is a pair of restored door mirrors and new six-button OBC.

With 217K on the clock, it appears as if the transmission synchros are failing. I'm looking at a good used one. The "while you're in there" list is growing -- lighter flywheel, new clutch, short shifter, etc.

In the meantime, I've got this dandy Recaro "Sport" interior from a Euro-spec 323i that's waiting to be cleaned up and installed.

And while this isn't an '02 I believe I've found it's "spiritual successor."

Cheers!

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

deliawolfe@gmail.com

That 318is is a wonderful car. Does it still have the original Boge sport shocks? Wonderfully balanced.

Are those rims of a Z1?

Rims are optional for all E30 models and still available from BMW. About $500. ea. as I recall...

I've replaced the shocks with Bilstein HDs and the springs are H&R.

The steering rack is from a Z4 and the quicker steering is hardly noticeable except for tight manuevers. These cars are wonderfully balanced..something like 51-49 front/rear, so with good rubber, it's hard to get into trouble. It's quite forgiving and when you're over the limit, it lets you know..much like an old '02.

JP Cadoux fixed me up with some drilled rotors and metallic pads..she stops on a dime.

Engine performance was enhanced with a (pricey) Remus stainless steel unit. Matched up to the factory-installed tubular header, there is a noticeable increase in mid-range torque and low, throaty exhaust note.

I suspect it will keep getting improvements/modifications until I decide on something else...or maybe just another 318is...

D

1973 2002tii - gone

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

deliawolfe@gmail.com