• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project Trudy

Driver side rocker finished, as well as the shock towers.. some pics added. Project is moving along. Next up: 1) nasty rot repair on the trunk next to gas tank opening and passenger side quarter panel, 2) a small dent on the passenger side rocker panel, 3) small holes on the spare tire well 4) driver side floor and frame rail, etc, etc I am sure I will find more rot as I keep digging. I need to remove the engine soon to get access into the bay and clean and repair whatever is there. If you ask why it cost so much to repair rusty metal professionally, please ask me first! It took almost 5-6 hours just to align and weld the small piece on the rocker panel. Bigger pieces are obviously easier to work with. It also depends on the curvature of the surface. Once all the welding is done, I will go over the patches and make them beautiful, for a seamless factory look.

post-2494-13667608489487_thumb.jpg

post-2494-13667608492451_thumb.jpg

post-2494-136676084954_thumb.jpg

post-2494-13667608498268_thumb.jpg

This is the worst part of the car so far. Here are some pictures after first cleaning. Will patch the area with 16 gauge steel and weld a U-channel bracket underneath to simulate small factory frame-rail/stiffening piece. Most repairs I have seen ignore the frame rail piece underneath. I kept as much original steel as possible. There is also a small area on the fender needing new metal. Will add more pictures later.

post-2494-1366760872255_thumb.jpg

post-2494-13667608725463_thumb.jpg

post-2494-13667608737112_thumb.jpg

post-2494-13667608739688_thumb.jpg

post-2494-13667608742581_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Trunk and rear quarter have been completed. I chose not to mimic the factory dimple on the piece between the trunk and quarter panel, used 16 gauge to cover the hole, very strong. I bought a high quality 3M seam sealer kit and will brush it into any gaps remaining. Next up are the floors, especially the driver side floor panel over the frame rail. Project is progressing in a nice pace, should be able to complete the body work by Sept/Oct before starting to prep and paint. Need to find an engine puller and hoist soon, anybody can loan me one in Raleigh/Durham/Piedmont area? I'll buy you beer, pizza and kebabs!

post-2494-13667609291617_thumb.jpg

post-2494-13667609294678_thumb.jpg

post-2494-13667609297647_thumb.jpg

post-2494-13667609300773_thumb.jpg

post-2494-1366760930366_thumb.jpg

U could borrow mine but i live down in Charlotte. I think to far of a drive, but its here if u need it.

will it fit in the back of a Volvo 850 wagon? If so, I will come and pick it up and drive it back, buy you a dinner, and thanks for the offer much appreciated. Will see if I can find one locally first.

Al,

Looks good!

What kind of welder do you have? Could you give me details, please?

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA

"To live life without belief is more terrible than dying...., even more terrible than dying young." Joan of Arc

"It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society." J. Krishnamurti

Thanks. My welder is a Lincoln Handy Mig, 88 amps, 110V, 15-20 AMP AC. More than sufficient. It has now been discontinued but similar ones are available at Sears or other outlets. It is a well build product. I retrofitted a better quality wire feed cable and gas liner.

Thank you, Al.

I have been considering the purchase of one for a while. I have a '73 that needs some attention on the rusted out rockers due to sunroof draining (or lack, thereof).

It's an all original, automatic car that I don't want to modify to any great degree.

I just found out that it was "born" on March 13, 1973 and delivered to Max Hoffman on March 16, 1973.

It's still its original paint and color, Sahara.

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA

"To live life without belief is more terrible than dying...., even more terrible than dying young." Joan of Arc

"It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society." J. Krishnamurti

You need space and time, and lots of practice. You will save thousands. If you outsource it to a shop they will charge anywhere between 50-100/hour, don't do it. Any good welder in $250-$500 range will do the job. Buy a used one, found mine on Craig List for $200, it was like new but needed a new cable. Lincoln, Miller, Clark, Hobart etc, are good brands and basically the same.