• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small tractors

JackF

I'm looking into small tractors. Maybe a bit more than a lawn tractor, although mowing is one of its prime functions. I'd like to be able to run a tiller with it. From what I've seen online, once you get to a tiller capable unit you are into the small Kubota/John Deere units that can also be configured with loader buckets and backhoes. What do you know? What do you like?

we own 27 acres and mow most of it...we used to use a full size IH tractor that was just too large for most of the things we used it for...a couple of years ago, i bought a grey market mitsubishi with a front end loader and a 6 foot finish mower....

mitsubishi-pic-new3.jpg

if you look around there are dealers all over the country that deal in the grey market tractors that they impost from japan, china, etc...

i found mine in like new condition, it had been completely refurb'd and paid $3200.00...

i already had a tiller but the IH was too large for tilling....the mitsubishi is perfect with it's 18 speed drive

we own 27 acres and mow most of it...

would you like to adopt me?

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

I have about 10 acres and recently purchased a Mahindra "compact" tractor.

4x4, 25 HP with a front loader.

Much better value for the money than Kubota / Deer (IMHO of course) . Although Mahindra is an Indian company, the "15" and "16" series are made by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries in Japan.

Model is 2515, 4 and 5 year 0 % financing is available

Cheers!

John N

Much to learn on the tractor topic. I stopped at a JD dealer yesterday and looked at their compacts to kinda get my head wrapped aroung the size/price, etc. Going to do the same at Kubota. This is going to be for the CA house, which is a rental right now but my daughter will be in it this summer so it will be cared for.

I'm hoping to stick with something of a name brand and that would include Mahindra and certainly Mitsu. As this is a CA property, I'd expect to find a lot of used, which is more where I want to go, but there may be some good new leftover deals too.

Primary uses will be mowing to keep the damned foxtails down, but there is a bit of slope on part of it and with #1 on it, stability is my main concern. As well, there will be the tiller, excavator and loader. I've fallen out of love with my shovel and wheelbarrow. I'm only on 1.25 acres of land but I've got to build a garage/shop/apt above and do some remodeling, so I think a compact is the right way to go and it will get good use. I expect about 1/3 of the property will be tilled. It lays out nicely for that.

Any other input is gladly received. As I said, much to learn here.

not to hijack the topic , but i have an agricultural machinery question too :) (well , guess i am going to hijack it :P)

we own about 50 acres (well , i am in Egypt as you can see) .. and we plant about 15 acres of it wheat per year , we do the harvesting , treshing and all that the good old manual way ...

since it costs too much to harvest it "by hand" the way we do it , we considered to buy a small size combine harvester .. and i dont know where to start , what to search for and what is the best to get .. any clue ?

bmwfans_userbar.png

-Living in the wrong side of the world ..

Cheers

Chatroom John

Esty, if you find your tractors twin please let me know. I'm not a particularly savy internet shopper. Little things are okay but when it gets to spending dollars, I get a bit weak in the knees. May I ask, with whom did you deal on your machine? Were there any vendors who stood out to you? Any to avoid?

Thanks, John! I just spent a couple hours there. Thanks for the lead. How are you liking your machine? Are you getting any additional implements? I would prefer a lightly used machine. Going to try some of the local dealers to see what is out there.

is always an option, but with zero % four or five year financing, new is hard to turn down.

I purchased a field mower when I bought the tractor and have since found a used Yanmar tiller. My next door neighbor has a box scraper and landscape rake and I may purchase a drag harrow to help smooth out the results of the tilling. I think I'm covered for implements for the medium term.

If I had to do it again, I'd still purchase the Mahindra. Much better value for the money than Kubota/Deer/Farmall (IMHO of course). If you can find a dealer with the "15" series still in stock, I'd strongly suggest that. You may find they make a good deal. The "15" series is being replaced by the "16" series which have a cleaner diesel engine (with a resulting loss in HP), so now the 2816 is equivalent to the 2515 I purchased. Both the "15" and "16" series are made by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and have that indestructible Mitsu 3 cylinder engine.

Cheers!

John N