• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This really sucks, any advice?

Of course, those things always break off flush, don't they?

You need some type of screw extractor. I use e-z- outs because I can get them.

There are several different types, but you get to drill a small hole

into the CENTER of the top of the remaining stud, insert the extractor, and try to back it out. I've heard that the 'hammer in' type are pretty good,

but never used them.

They usually come out.

If it doesn't, then you have to carefully and slowly enlarge the hole

until you have just a thin ring of steel (this is why you were careful

to center the hole.)

Then peel the threads out with an icepick- like tool.

Good luck-

make sure to keep your steel chips

out of the head.

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I usually use a little heat and then with alot of pressure and a slow speed I use a left handed drill bit. Harbor Freight sells a bit kit for $5. Eventually it will just spin itself out. If this doesn't work then move to the easy out. Ezout's are made out of unbeatable carbon steel so if they break you're fubard.

Well hello Mr. Miller I just went out to the car to take a look at the valve cover nuts and if what happened is what I think your saying I would remove the valve cover and new gasket place a cloth over the valves and then see if there is any of the stud sticking out. Get a good pair of vice grip plyers and try to back the stud out that way. Keep it simple before drilling.

Dudley

71 BMW 2002 "Von Eiff" gone baby gone

73 BMW 2002 " Mingus "

04 BMW X5

75 Triumph Tr6

00 CLK 430 Conv

Honda Elite Scooter

Vespa Ciao

Dudley, where you been? I thought you were gonna get in touch for those seat belts and I have those stickers you wanted. I'll try that because when I think of drilling I think about something else.

When you coming over for some buffalo steaks and beer?

Yeah sorry about the slow get in touch..... I've been preoccupied with a good friends funeral and now a good friends wedding at the end of this month but after that count me in for that steak and some beer.

Dudley

71 BMW 2002 "Von Eiff" gone baby gone

73 BMW 2002 " Mingus "

04 BMW X5

75 Triumph Tr6

00 CLK 430 Conv

Honda Elite Scooter

Vespa Ciao

If there is a little meat left, you can also cut a groove with a dremel or some such tool and use a screw driver to turn it or weld a bar to it and turn it out.

Any way you cut it, it's not a big deal just as long as you drill it in the center as previously mentioned otherwise a worst case scenerio is going to be a total nightmare.

The actual head bolt is what broke off.

Ok, so, err, do you really mean that one of the bolts that hold

the HEAD onto the BLOCK is broken? 'Cause that's what a head

bolt does!

Now, since you're working on the valve cover, I thought

you'd snapped one of the studs that sticks OUT of the head.

I guess there is one bolt in the front of the cover, isn't there...

Any way you cut it, head bolt or bolt head, if there's not enough

of the shaft (heh heh) sticking up out of the flat surface to get

vice grips onto, then you're at Driller time. And the Left Handed Drill Bits

are a great idea...

hth,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

TobyB has it correct "center" is the key to the drilling process. If you can not locate it you will make a bigger mess than you started with.

If no vicegripable remnants are protruding above the surface you need to drill, make sure to follow the center line.

A second person is very useful here guiding the driller as to being online. If you do it correctly you can drill the stud out to the nominal diameter and remove the remaining threads.

Follow up with a tap to clean up the remaining junk, blow clean and install the new stud/bolt.

The left handed drills are a great tool, successful at removing broken bolts and worth the expense.

In my experience the older the part is the success rates with LH drills drops accordingly, as the corrosion between the unlike materials create an unfriendly bond.

Warning: an EZ-out in that size are very fragile and like the previous poster stated if you break it off, it will ruin your day

and go to Harbor Freight (or equivalent) and get a left hand drill bit. When you start drilling, if the left hand (reverse rotation) drill bit "bites" it will back the stud out instead of sticking and breaking off.

Clyde Gates BMW CCA #19280

2009 Rav4 (wife's ride)

06 Toyota PU (Parts hauler)

89 325ic

75 2002 (parts)

74 2002 (Pigcheeks project)

73 2002 (auto to fi stick project)

70/75 2002 rolling

• 2 weeks later...
I got the stud yesterday put it in today. I screwed the broke one out, didn't have to drill. Thanks guys!

New non leaking oil cap and valve cover gasket, car seems to run better; probably just in my head.

thats great Terry. I'm glad you were able to fix what you messed up in the first place. hehehe

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti