• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flares came today

KB73

I only had a moment to play with them, but very exciting nonetheless.

Lots of things to figure out, like what kind of glue to use, how much steel to trim, what kind of body filler, etc.

The back flares are pretty straightforward. The fronts are another story. I don't like the way they overlap the nose panel, so I'm thinking of glassing in a different shape - blending to the stock nose/fender seam.

I suppose I could live with it and just go with an airdam.

Anyway, just thought I would share. Thoughts are welcome.

Kristian

post-15719-13667606896076_thumb.jpg

post-15719-13667606898053_thumb.jpg

post-15719-13667606899281_thumb.jpg

post-15719-1366760690031_thumb.jpg

post-15719-13667606901589_thumb.jpg

Thanks. I went with the Ireland Engineering flares. The Korman flares blend to the nose, but I don't like the cutout for the bumper and the wheel openings look awkwardly large in my opinion.

Thanks for the two cents - I've been debating if it's worth the effort and opinions help.

whats the glue for? your not going to glue the quarter panals on are you.

From Jeff Ireland, of Ireland Engineering: "It depends on what you want them to look like. Some people just screw them on for race cars. Most bond them on. Body shops have an adhesive used to attach door skins which should work well."

Hey Kristian,

I just received the same rear flares and I've had some Korman fronts ready to go.

I'm going the same route as you with the rears (I think), that is, cutting the fender, welding it back together, then bonding and blending the flare. How are you planning to hold the flare while the adhesive cures? I'm undecided between screwing/riveting and then trying to hide the rivets/screws, or doing the same but removing the hardware afterwards and filling the holes.

As for the fronts, I preferred the was the Korman's return to the bumper, but they were pretty flimsy when I got them. I ended up adding two more layers of glass and beefing up some areas like the tip above the headlights.

Shoot me an email if you've got any suggestions or questions...

gormick (at) gmail (dot) com

Jonathan

Bristol 11/12/68

Hey Kristian,

I just received the same rear flares and I've had some Korman fronts ready to go.

I'm going the same route as you with the rears (I think), that is, cutting the fender, welding it back together, then bonding and blending the flare. How are you planning to hold the flare while the adhesive cures? I'm undecided between screwing/riveting and then trying to hide the rivets/screws, or doing the same but removing the hardware afterwards and filling the holes.

As for the fronts, I preferred the was the Korman's return to the bumper, but they were pretty flimsy when I got them. I ended up adding two more layers of glass and beefing up some areas like the tip above the headlights.

e mail sent

Jonathan

Hey Kristian,

Jonathan

e mail sent