• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new to me 02 and muffler opinion

pboucher

Hi,

Just got my first 02- 1975 pretty much stock.

On the drive home, the muffler was lost to the freeway gods -good luck omen? Ironically- the muffler was new, bad weld job at a midas (cracked and fully disclosed during time of purchase).

Looking for advice- from what I've read, there are no performance gains from upgraded exhaust unless the engine is pushing over 140hp. Any truth to this? My dilemma is do I get an OEM muffler or, if I eventually (not sure) upgrade the engine, should I upgrade the exhaust now since its gone?

75 02

Guest Anonymous

My '02 cents: I got rid of a new ANSA system after a couple of years because it was TOO LOUD for conversation and/or CD's and reverted to the stock exhaust system. My car is slightly hopped up and I noticed no loss of performance. I know others on this board who also went back to stock for the same reason. Plus, OE will save you a few $$$. Good luck.

Roger

'72 Malaga

i have had ansa's on three different cars.

fiat x1/9 - quad tip, sounded perfect

e30 325is - full euro system from header back, sounded perfect

2002 - just the sport muffler, stock resonator, sounded louder than perfect.

they all had the same "tone". ansa has a unique pitch that i think sounds great. just that the 2002 version has a few more db than others i have used. i love it for my around town "beater" '02, but it would get old on a long trip.

must add disclaimer.....my race car makes 102db at 130mph. ear protection under helmet when inside the car is required for survival. that is my reference for a "loud" car....;-)

2xM3

After much experimentation, I went back to stock, about a year ago, and I am never going back to anything else.

I have a stage 2 motor, with supersprint header, (I am guessing now close to 160 hp) the loss in power (from a xxx performance 2" exhaust) is negligible. If I could find something quieter I would buy it in a heart beat. I may even delete the spare tire well and install a "real" muffler, to make my car even quieter.

FAQ Member # 91

This topic comes up every so often and the common gripe with Ansa is that they're too loud. I have had Ansa systems on other cars and agree 100%. However, I had a chance to grab an older NOS Ansa rear section for a good price and gave it a try. With my stock resonator, the exhaust note is very mellow - not raspy like others I've heard. I don't know if it's the construction of the earlier units or what, but I can't complain. Youtube has a couple of clips with guys sharing their Ansa systems, but I wouldn't judge the sound based just on that. Every set up seems to be a bit different. All of the reviews I've read of the IE SS system have been positive and the price is attractive, too.

Never let school get in the way of your education!

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Welcome to the 02 Disease

I agree with Roger that stock is fine. But then again, I am an old fart and have sensitive ears. Now there are some here in the NC 02 Group that like em a little loud and have Ansa. The SS system offered by Ireland I believe is used by a couple of locals too and that is a very nice setup but you will pay a little more But my cars are stock, well except for the panel truck If that is the way you go check with Doug at T-Hoff in Raleigh They give 20% discount to BMW folks and can get it here for you

If you are new to 02s, look me up if I can be of help And checkout the 02Group website We have a very active group here in NC

http://www.the02group.zoomshare.com/

HTH

Thanks for all the quick feedback! Great site.

I did a search before asking the question hoping not to ask something too redundant. It sounded like ansa's were a little louder. The IE SS seemed like an attractive option and I checked out their website and the $$s were reasonable. If the only differentiator is sound, I might just go ahead at get an OEM though and save the cash for other projects.

75 02

I would get a stock muffler so that you can hear a radio and have a conversation in the car. My car has an Ansa, and it is too loud for my taste, but it works and is solid.

If you decided you are interested in an Ansa, let me know. It is welded together from the downpipe (right by the transmission) to the rear bumper, so it would have to come out as one piece.

I would love a stock muffler. Until then, I will probably wear earplugs on long trips. I didn't have any for the ride to V@V, and it got old after a while.

John in the Columbia River Gorge

1976 2002 Chamonix/Navy - SOLD

2001 330i

I had an ANSA sport resonator and muffler on my nearly stock 1976 2002. I changed over to an OEM muffler because it was uncomfortably loud. I do a bit of hill climbing around here and I felt a hp reduction going from ANSA sport to OEM muffler, but oh the OEM sounds so much nicer.

Now my res and downpipe are starting to go, so yesterday I ordered a 2" stainless exhaust from IE. I've always wanted one of those. With their current sale price, and considering typical BMW pricing, I figure there can't be that much of a difference between the cost of the two systems.

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002

I have STEBRO exhaust on one of my cars and Ireland SS exhaust system one my other. The Ireland SS system is not very loud at all and gives you a slight rumble. Many others on here have the IE ss system. They can chime in and give you feedback. Overall SS is good system for the price.

My favorite is the OEM tii specific resonator and muffler made for BMW by Eberspacher. That combo of resonator and muffler flows really well and is quiet.

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Lots of opinions have been posted before. The nice thing about the bolt-on mufflers are just that - they can be changed out to suit whatever sound you want (see my last comment).

The stock tii muffler (by Eberspacher) is very free-flowing. The air volume exiting the tailpipe is very strong on my car at idle. I think I have an Ansa resonator on my car but cannot tell because the exterior looks like a stock one. The sound is very nice, especially above 3K rpm's on the highway.

Now if someone would take the later (E46 & E92) 3-series dual outlet design with vacuum-operated flap for alternating the backpressure and make a 2002 muffler - that would be interesting.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I use Dynomax rear muffler which exits on the side.It's mated with a stock tii resonator. I'm very pleased with the mild tone.

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

I've got the IE SS system from the downpipe back and I love it. It sounds great; not too loud for conversation but it still has great exhaust note. Best of all its a pretty easy install. If you do go this route, just make sure you don't put the resonator on upside down.

Mark

'72 Riviera Blue: Family Owned, 60K Original Miles

Mods: 5 speed, 3.91 LSD, 15" BBS RA, Weber 38/38, Recurved Mech Dizzy, Pertronix, Eibach springs, Billy HD rears, GR2 struts, IE Urethane Bushings, E21 Recaros, IE exhaust