• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My vin# is 2577807-the car's a 1972 Colorado 2002. Trouble is, when I have looked for parts using my vin, it comes up as a 1987 E30 318(!). What the hell?

The strange thing is that the plate on the steering column pad, the VIN plate, the engine and the right inner fender top are all marked with the same number, 2577807. Is my car some sort of orphan or something?

1972 BMW 2002 Colorado #2577807<p>

2015 BMW M5 Competition 6-speed

2003 Audi TT Coupe 225

I have the same exact response to any VIN db I try to run my 73'02 against. It always returns a mid 80's bimmer of some flavor.

All my tags appear to match and also don't appear to have been messed with either. The title looks good and is good for my state, but I haven't tried to insure or reg it just yet while it's being built.. hope that goes smoothly hehe

hryniukBMW.gifSteve Hryniuk

Hilo Hawaii

1973 BMW 2002

Project Honu Blog

Don't sweat....these systems are only designed for 17 digit vin #s. The digits on your vin correspond with the serial number of an E30....nothing you can do about it!

Have you ever called BMW NA to check for open recalls or campaigns on a newer BMW? They only ask for the last 7 digits.

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

The strange thing is that the plate on the steering column pad, the VIN plate, the engine and the right inner fender top are all marked with the same number, 2577807. Is my car some sort of orphan or something?

Hence the term "numbers match". This is important to collectors. Especially on rare cars like '02 Turbos, Camaro ZL1's etc.

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793