• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody on the board with Volvo 122/14x experience? Looking

BarryA

at a pair of Volvo wagons (a 67 122, and a 69 144 - both CA black plate cars), and curious about folk's experience with Volvos of this era (reliability, durability, parts cost & availablility, driving dynamics, etc).

Last Volvo I owned was a '57 Duette 2 door wagon in the early 70's (my brother had a very early 122 4 door around the same time), so my limited experience really doesn't apply.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

Barry, I owned a 1968 122S two door for a few years, and enjoyed the car. It was built like a tank and was a great introduction into foreign cars.... but, that was many years ago, so I'm not much help.

Take a look at : http://www.vclassics.com

I think that someone linked to the website should be helpful. I have purchased vintage Marchal E Code lens and bulbs from one of the fellows I found at the site: OJ Rallye Automotive (in Wisc. I think).

Larry

I have a lot of 140 and 240 experience.

The 140 is the forgotten Volvo. There are a lot of parts that are rapidly becoming NLA. (Master cylinder reservoirs).

I love them and they handle great with the usual upgrades. Hard to find them in good non neglected condition.

John

DSC01189.jpg

DSC01487.jpg

My friend Toye's

DSC01486.jpg

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

absolutely bullet proof !

provided the past owners have changed the oils with

the correct types

Volvo owners tend to be mature, respect machines,

highly educated, don't neglect the car, and can afford

maintainence. Very much a contrast with vintage BMW's

wich get abused and driven to death - no dollars spent.

I used to be a very good customer with ipd Volvo/Saab

parts company -

here's their site, and they offer great advice on preserving

all things Swedish

oh yea - LOOK FOR RUST !!

http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-122/c-1-71/

my former Swedish connection:

1972 142S

197? 245 wagon (race bike tow vehicle)

1974 Saab 99 EMS

1978 Saab 99 TURBO

1977 Saab GL

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

i drove a '68 122 in highschool and I must reiterate that it was completely bulletproof.. a complete slug, but bulletproof. It never left me stranded or missed a beat. makes me want to put SUs on an 02. :)

..and I also do not own a BMW 2002.

Barry,

Concur with all that has been said about the "tough as nails" description of the 122/140 series Volvos. I drive a 72 1800ES, and while in my opinion, a bit easier on the eyes than the sedans, it is mechanically the same as the aforementioned cars. Very easy to work on and like C.D. points out, IPD is a good place for parts. The VCOA is also worth looking into should you decide to make the leap.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

post-292-13667607158672_thumb.jpg

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

oh yea - LOOK FOR RUST !!

on the 122, the windshield seals cracked and got the pad behind the

rubber mat wet. Thus, the floors often rusted from the inside.

Parts are easier than the 2002- since they are the Chebbys of Sweden,

everything is available there. Shipping is significant, but no more so

than from Walloth, and prices are cheaper or comparable.

Volvo US used to be really good, but after the Ford buyout,

that went away, to some extent.

A b18b in a 122 is reasonably zippy- it depends on the rear end ratio.

The overdrive is worth it.

You can put a b20 from a later car in, and depepending on the compression,

get a bit more torque. But not a lot.

The wagon has some parts that are hard to get, but not many.

The 122 was the last of the lightweight Volvos- they only

weigh a few hundred more than a 2002. The 140s gained more...

I like mine, but haven't finished the latest project, so it sits.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Earl and c.d. are right on the money - in good shape these cars are bulletproof, and it doesn't take much to make them so. Lots of resources for parts. Old volvos have been and remain my daily drivers (28+ years): a 1960 122S, a 1968 1800S; and a 1973 1800ES. Of course at the moment I am only driving my newly acquired 71 02 to work out the kinks.

the 65 El Camino, and am looking at ways to further "thin the herd" without finding myself without a Home Depot / nursery / parts runner.

I'm looking into a '60's Volvo wagon as a replacement for both the E21 & the Datsun King Cab - would get us down to three cars & give me both reasonable hauling capacity & (hopefully) halfway decent mileage for my 60 mile a day commute. Have turned up two CA black plate cars, neither of which appears to have been abused - if they didn't do winter ski duty, hopefully they'll both turn out to be solid, rust free examples

Have been familiar with IPD for years; VCOA appears to have a pretty good web site, but most of it seems only to be accessable to members (I probably won't pony up for a membership until I'm sure I'm headed in that direction). Found a "performance" oriented web board (Turbobricks) that's got a lot of info on engine/trans/suspension upgrades as well.....

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold

you're selling the e21???

Aashish

1969 BMW 2002--I gotta finish this damn thing

1987 BMW 325is--S52 Monster

1975 Innocenti Mini 1001-- the most cost dense car ever!

1995 318ti

2004 BMW 330i ZHP

2004 Toyota Tacoma (gotta have something reliable!)--can't live without

you're selling the e21???

yeah, maybe - know somebody who might be interested?

If I do sell it, it'll go complete with all the accumulated parts, both installed (E30 M3 front and rear seats, 323 rear discs, OZ Alpina replica wheels, euro bumpers, BBS spoiler & air dam, iS sport wheel, Alpina springs and sway bars) and in boxes (M20 crossmember & motor mounts, etc).

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold

Had '66 122S and a '68 122S both coupes, both bullet proof and easy to work on. Parts were never a problem. They drove like trucks compared to '02s, but they made absolutely killer rally cars. You had to really try hard to break them. They totally turn heads and the uninformed always think they are old American cars. I see a few wagons around from time to time and four door sedans are seem a little more common. I liked the coupe the best, but will probably not go there again '02s are much more dynamic and fun to drive and feel much more modern despite being nearly as old a design.

I also had an '89 240 that went 300K without any kink of major repair/rebuild before I sold it for more than I bought it for.

GO FLYING BRICKS!

'73 tii

'72 (regretfully sold)

'76 (sold)

'08 328iT (better half)

I find that a great part of the information I have was acquired by looking up something and finding something else on the way.--Franklin Pierce Adams

...'02s are much more dynamic and fun to drive and feel much more modern despite being nearly as old a design.

quote]

aren't aware of it, but the first 122's appeared in Europe in the late 50's, so the 122 predates the '02 series by about 10 years. The late 60's models were fairly highly evolved (disc brakes, overdrive, etc), but were still essentially a mid-50's design. Simple & basic - not a bad thing in some ways.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold

I've had 3 p1800 versions and 1 1800ES. All B10 or B10b engines. Last one was a 68 1800s with 175,000 did not burn oil but had some manifold seal problems and I did find oil in the radiator overflow llast checkup. These rust badly in the rockers and are famous total rust-outs if they were the very early British-built versions that sat outside during a lengthy strike.

I had NO major mechanical problems in all those miles with the 3 cars other than 3 alternators and 2 starters- all easy eplacement.

I iinstalled AC on one in 6 hours - 6 very hot and difficult hours using parts from another VOLVO. Never used it because it robbed too much power.

My 1 1800 could get out of it's way....downhill, but these were NOT sports cars! I remeber being so impressed at the hand-made quality fit and finish of these cars.

I still have a spare SU carb set I routinely switched out for tune ups. I recall carrying a small hammer to tap the plunger towers to free stuck main needle valve plungers. The plunger dampeners were filled with a light weight oil (auto transmission oil IIRC).

Electrical problems were typically same as other Lucas-based products. I still have a full set of Smith gauges and clock and lots of other trim stuff. I also have new in original box lights and parts somewhere! I solved nearly ALL electrical problems .

Check very carefully for lot's of body filler hiding buckets of rust!

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!