• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Really need help deciding what to do with my engine problem

Hi all,

Really need help deciding what to do with my engine problem, long story short the company I bought the engine call me and they don’t have a used one, I was looking on line and found this company Metric Mechanic MOTORS, but the price for the engine 2200 Sport will be close to 5700.00, the sales person recommend the 2300 Rally this one is close to 6500.00, any suggestion? Anybody know any other companies?

Things I have in my garage waiting for the engine

Weber 38/38 + manifold, electronic ignition kit, short header.

Thanks for any advice or suggestion in advance.

George

415-828 7055

4 Cylinder Engines - M10

2002, 320i, 318i ≥’85 - 4 Cyl SOHC Engines Core Deposit

2200 Sport Engine............. 155 HP........ 4495 600

2200 Sport Engine............. 160 HP........ 5295 600

2300 Rally Engine.............. 165 HP........ 5695 600

2400 Rally Engine.............. 170 HP........ 6795 600

2000 - 2400 Race Engines 180 -240 HP.7495-8995 600

Other M10 Race Engines............ .Call 573-765-1269

Up charge for 2002 tii, 320i (‘80-’83) & 318i...200

Thanks all ........... JCorrea

Have yours rebuilt by Terry Tinney since you are in the SF area. He's reputable, and a one-man-deal so he goes through your engine in detail. Figure a complete rebuild will be ~4500 and you have his seal of approval, and a lot of others here on the board.

Aashish

1969 BMW 2002--I gotta finish this damn thing

1987 BMW 325is--S52 Monster

1975 Innocenti Mini 1001-- the most cost dense car ever!

1995 318ti

2004 BMW 330i ZHP

2004 Toyota Tacoma (gotta have something reliable!)--can't live without

same advice here. I would find a local guy and have them rebuild a short block that you provide. for around the same price you can dictate the parts, extras, and have a local install as well. remember that those prices from MM do not include install or shipping. On mine I got a good lower block and had it rebuild/machined while I still drove my car. I got an entire new engine with a new head, cam, all new valve train, oil/water pumps, electric fuel pump, new pistons, used balanced rods, new clutch, new mech dizzy plus install for around $5300. So in reality a practically new engine for what a rebuild of questionable origin costs not including shipping or install. Pluss MM has some bad reviews as well.

post-344-13667607222225_thumb.jpg

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

same advice here. I would find a local guy and have them rebuild a short block that you provide. for around the same price you can dictate the parts, extras, and have a local install as well. remember that those prices from MM do not include install or shipping. On mine I got a good lower block and had it rebuild/machined while I still drove my car. I got an entire new engine with a new head, cam, all new valve train, oil/water pumps, electric fuel pump, new pistons, used balanced rods, new clutch, new mech dizzy plus install for around $5300. So in reality a practically new engine for what a rebuild of questionable origin costs not including shipping or install. Pluss MM has some bad reviews as well.

I contact Terry Tinney and he said is less than 5K, my mechanic charge me 400.00 for installation, what you think? Are you in San Francisco?, who did yours?

Thanks all ........... JCorrea

heh..I just posted my 69 for sale with a brand new motor from him. He's done numerous engines for people on the board and all have been running fantastic. He just did my mini motor for about 4500, and my 02 engine had some salvageable things like pistons, cams, etc. but it was around 2900.

I think its worth it to go through him.

Aashish

1969 BMW 2002--I gotta finish this damn thing

1987 BMW 325is--S52 Monster

1975 Innocenti Mini 1001-- the most cost dense car ever!

1995 318ti

2004 BMW 330i ZHP

2004 Toyota Tacoma (gotta have something reliable!)--can't live without

Hi George,

I just had my engine rebuilt by Lonnie Jensen Machine Shop and they're located here in the city, they've been in business for 30 years. I really wanted someone local to rebuild it and I'm glad I did because I was able to check up on the engine's progress and brought in my own parts with no hassles since I only lived really close. You should check out their machine shop and meet the manager Ron Jensen, he's got an 02 as well so he knows where you're coming from. I had a good experience with these guys and I would recommend a fellow faq-er to them. From my research from this group and other rebuild websites, i think they've got reasonable rates. Give Ron a call (415) 695-0345. They are located at 1350B 25th street.

Good luck,

Jan

post-14545-13667607227232_thumb.jpg

post-14545-13667607228142_thumb.jpg

73 inka

If you have the ability to remove and install the engine in your 2002, you have the ability to rebuild it. I'm not trying to over-simplify the process. If it's too intimidating then don't try it but...I'll give you an example of my approximate machining COSTS to rebuild and hop up an M10:

Sublet to machine shop-

Vat, bore, and hone engine block. Lightly machine deck surface. Replace freeze plugs & paint block $175

Blast, peen, and resize conecting rods(big end), rebush & hone (small end) $100 / set

Polish crank shaft std. $50 OR machine crankshaft undersize $125

Balance complete rotating assembly $225

Clean and inspect cylinder head, lightly resurface (including timing cover), grind valves, replace valve guides & seals $150

We install rocker shafts and camshafts "in house"

Media blast timing covers, valve cover, all miscellaneous brackets, etc. $75

Total for all these services $775-850

Add a 292 Scrick cam $500, 9.5:1 Mahle pistons $400

You're still only at $1750...with about $600 more to spend in parts.

You see where I'm going with this? It can be done correctly and "relatively' inexpensively. Now labor...That's another story

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

Well I am in Florida but my guy has built 100's of engines including many street & race M-10's and has 5 2002's of his own. Also I was able to purchase parts as I found them for the best price and bring them to him NO PROBLEM. I got the cam & some stuff from IE, the valves, a new cast E21 head & lots of new parts on Ebay. What he needed he called first to see if I wanted to get the parts myself. He was able to provide advice and skill at each step. I doubt you will get that from MM. Again a local guy is my recommendation. If MM is local than by all means consider them as well.

Plus when you have the engine out you may as well get a new clutch too.

PS I have never heard anything good about Bravarian Engine Exchange

Is Korman still around, what about IE?

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

Seeing how both of these guys are local, why not go and see them, talk to them and then decide which you would like to work with. You will get a better feel for the two once you meet them

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD

Yeah, I goofed on that one. Sorry. I usually get prices from Maximillian or Bell BMW. Sometimes the RealOEM prices are current, but definitely not in this case. List price at Bell is $5445 with a $1000 core charge; Max price is $4752.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators