• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

no show, no call

tii4sale

I don't want to insult anybody specifically so I won't 'name names'. It' s not polite nor necessary. What I'd like to suggest is that if you make an appointment to see a car or part please keep that appointment. At the very least call/e-mail the seller if you're running late or changed your mind and have no intention of keeping that appointment. A private seller has other things to do than wait for potential buyers that don't show up. And this unfortunately has occurred more than once. A lot of time and money goes into e-mails and phone calls prior to setting up an appointment. The least that a mature adult can do is behave in a responsible manner. I'm amazed and disappointed that this posting is even necessary.

I don't want to insult anybody specifically so I won't 'name names'. It' s not polite nor necessary. What I'd like to suggest is that if you make an appointment to see a car or part please keep that appointment. At the very least call/e-mail the seller if you're running late or changed your mind and have no intention of keeping that appointment. A private seller has other things to do than wait for potential buyers that don't show up. And this unfortunately has occurred more than once. A lot of time and money goes into e-mails and phone calls prior to setting up an appointment. The least that a mature adult can do is behave in a responsible manner. I'm amazed and disappointed that this posting is even necessary.

That certainly explains the look of surprise on a sellers face when I actually show up and buy something...

Of course, sometimes I show up to buy something in a place like Livermore or Sacramento, like, say, for a set of wheels, and the durn things are still on the guy's car, fergoshsakes. So, then I have to give him a deposit so he doesn't trade them to his cousin for a barbeque grill or a quad runner or something, and worry about him just keeping the money and not honoring the receipt he gave me. Oh, yeah, and I have to drive back to guy's house, too!

I sold my 1966 Mustang on ebay. Let's see if the sale goes through without a hitch.

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

craigslist is notorious for that. i've learned NEVER to hold an item for someone. first person with cash in hand gets it. i've also experienced the potential buyer who 'talks a big game' about buying the whole lot, and thereby going to the head of the line, only to cherry-pick the best item from the grouping and leave with only the one item.

i even had a guy offer to buy my complete group of vintage balloon tire bikes for an agreed upon 'great' price, for cash, then show up $200 short, after loading all the items into his truck, before informing me of his shortfall. i held on to all the critical nameplates. he wasn't expecting that and after trying to trade down on price eventually coughed up the dough. he got a smoking deal and swore he was gonna cherish these bikes and parts. he ended up parting them out to the four corners of the world. so i no longer let sentimental emotions sway me either.

my biggest purchase escape was a great '72tii located on my way home from work. after talking with the owner to confirm its availability that afternoon, i waited with cash in hand for an hour and a half before he got home from work only to hear someone offered him $500 more than his asking price to hold it. it was a smoking deal and i should have upped the offer but i was naive to the world of used cars and deal-making. it ended up on ebay a week later and buyer made a tidy $1500 profit plus keeping a nice Nardi steering wheel. that WAS a nice original blue-plate, minimal rust sun roof malaga tii, with Alpina rims to boot. ---sigh---

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I guess effective communication is the key ! By both parties....

Couldn't agree with you more! We are in the process of looking for a car for my youngest son, and I can't believe the number of people that are selling cars, and DO NOT return emails or phone calls. I guess I can understand somewhat, if the car is sold, but it still is common courtesy.

73 - '02

88 - M3

11  - E90

Lately, I seem to be selling and buying a LOT of stuff on CL. I generally set the appointment to a time and place that's convenient for me. I have some regular meet ups at Starbucks and eateries that I am always at on certain days and times. If the guy/gal shows up between 7 and 9am Saturday at the local Starbucks, we do business. If not, I was gonna be there anyway. Saves points off my blood pressure and keeps me from playing the waiting game. This method has proved 100% effective for me.

"Why would I pay that much money for a 1981 BMW that looks...like a 1981 BMW?" -Charles William Jones, Jr.

1975 Polaris, Sunroof

1976 Malaga

1993 E36 Sedan

1992 Mazda Miata

1998 Volvo V70

I've met up with the last few people from craigslist at the shopping center across the street from my house. We agree on a time, and I ask them to call me when they're 5-10 minutes out, and I can just walk over. Haven't had to deal with people not showing up at the agreed upon time, but have had people cancel with an hour to spare, when I was coming back from a weekend trip early... Oh well.

It also seems that talking to them on the phone means a lot more than emailing. I personally like to have things in writing so I can keep track of them, and remember, but some people prefer to hear a voice.

David

Flickr

'74 2002 - The project

'98 M3

'04 Duramax 2500HD