• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driver's window shattered this afternoon! (more)

Car was sitting in the driveway, not even in the sun (and it wasn't that hot today), no lawanmowers going to fling up rocks, no kids with b-b guns, no spent bullet found in the car...I walked by it on the way to the front yard and the window was intact; ten minutes later I walked back by it and there were bits of shattered window all over the place. The way the glass was positioned (mostly outside on the ground, not much inside) precludes something from hitting it outside, and the car was locked.

I know tempered glass can just shatter with no provocation but haven't heard of this happening on an '02. Has it happened to anyone here?

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The EXACT same thing happened to my car. What I found was the circular spring on the window regulator let loose and broke the window.

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

Yes! The exact same thing happened to me, one minute fine, next, tiny pieces all over.

I attributed it to my worn window felt and the pressure of the window against the seal when rolled up and door closed.

I replaced the window and gave it a couple of fine tune adjustments, seems to be fine.

Keep a couple of extras in storage just in case.

Anything you want, all you have to do is try.

happened to our Volvo's rear windshield. Glad my insurance covered it because the rear OE glass was 900 bucks.

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

happened to our Volvo's rear windshield. Glad my insurance covered it because the rear OE glass was 900 bucks.

you should have got it from the dealer. they match pricing and theres no charge for shipping

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

you should have got it from the dealer. they match pricing and theres no charge for shipping

I did and the service was awesome. No shipping is right plus it was readily available and I didnt have to deal with the b/s either.

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

Well, there is at least, some good news...now you have the same window glass in your 2002 as you have in your Bugeye!!! (Unless you count these nifty side curtains.)

In my case, I lost the driver side window in my four-year-old 1974 2002. Window was rolled down and it shattered inside the door.

Similarly, I lost the LR quarter window in my 1985 Chevy S10 Blazer -- it's a fixed piece in a rubber gasket -- much like the 2002 windshield. It just "popped."

I've heard stories that rear windshield glass has popped a few times on E30s. So far, mine is OK.

Got a part number for that Bugeye door glass?

Cheers!

Delia

2007-10-10_SpriteMkIIWindowsWeb-Large.jpg

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

it wasn't the big regulator spring, and the car was in the shade (and has been a lot hotter all closed up). Spent some time this afternoon cleaning the glass from inside the door and checking for rust.

Covered by insurance, so it's more a nuisance than anything else--and gives me an excuse for delving into the door to look for things that need cleaning, rustproofing and greasing.

Cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite