• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gauge Cluster connection question

02Les

Anyone know (for sure) what the spade-terminal on the back of the temp/fuel gauge, shown in the pics, is for? I thought about adding an earth lead, but then noticed it has an electrical "thingie" attached on the inside. It is on a '75 cluster, but not on a '73 cluster (just the 3 holes)

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

See attached drawing. Could it be the RT (red) and (BR) Brown connections to the clock?? (red cloud)

Notice that in your example that doesn't have the terminal that the circuit board is drilled for something. Maybe your earlier version didn't have a clock in the display??

The electrical device is a diode to prevent polarity reversal or backward voltage flow. It does not appear to show on the attachment, but maybe this is it at the red arrow??

post-15539-13667607585652_thumb.jpg

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!

See attached drawing. Could it be the RT (red) and (BR) Brown connections to the clock?? (red cloud)

Notice that in your example that doesn't have the terminal that the circuit board is drilled for something. Maybe your earlier version didn't have a clock in the display??

The electrical device is a diode to prevent polarity reversal or backward voltage flow. It does not appear to show on the attachment, but maybe this is it at the red arrow??

Looking at it closer - it's connected to the circuit board and appears to go to/from the BIG RED light for the brake level - handbrake. Curious.

I decided not to connect anything to it in case something went poof!

I looked at Keith Kreeger's "site" at the gauge rehab, and his gauge had this connection also.

I have several gauge clusters and the one with this connection is dated 3/75, some without it are 11/73 and 10/75, so it seems it is for a special purpose.

I love a mystery!

Les

FAQ Member #17

I just wonder if that is for the "low fuel level" indicator.

But I thought that was an option for earlier models and some Euro models. That does not mean the connection could be there on the later cluster and why it is not there on the earlier models.

Yes, a mystery!

Do you have a way to put 12v to it and see what happens? We love a good poof? (as long as it is on your stuff Mr Les :-)

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

If it's connected to/from the brake light, possibly part of the later ignition interlock mess. I looked for a schem of the interlock, but didn't have it.

I like Bill's idea of a low fuel lamp if it's related to an indicator lamp on the display in question which the others don't have.

I would not suggest connecting 12vdc to it, however connecting 110vac may develop better smoke :) I love a mystery too. I guess we have to keep seeking the answer.

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!

I think I remember a few guys talking about this a while back....not sure tho' so, don't get this tattooed on your forehead or anything...but

I "believe" it has something to do with the "e-brake on" indication..or "low brake fluid level" or something like that.

You may find it in a search.

Jack be nimble - Jack be quick

If Jack isn't, he's gonna get his ass burned!

I like where you're going with it. Maybe the diode prevents power backfeed from either the ebrake or the plunger switch on the brake fluid resevoir and allows either to light the brake warning lamp. I'll check the schems again, but I'm not seeing the detail on this.

Was there a warning lamp if one of the required safety devices were not engaged in automatics and later manuals?? e.g clutch in??

well Ive got a cluster marked 10/73 (original to my car) and it has the terminal... further I have a brown with a white stripe wire that connects to it...

Is your car an auto? That might narrow the search.

The earlier clusters have the provision (3 holes) for this terminal, so I can only think it's for some models and not required on others.

Les

FAQ Member #17

It's shown on the double secret wiring diagram for a US '75 2002. A brown/grey wire from the handbrake lever switch attaches to it, and that illuminates the "Brake" warning light in the cluster.

The Brake warning light is also turned on via a brown/blue wire in the 12-conductor instrument cluster connector from the brake fluid level switch on the reservoir cap.

The brown/grey wire also goes to the seat belt interlock brain. The diode in the instrument cluster blocks the low fluid signal from the seat belt interlock.

You can safely ground this extra terminal, and that will turn on the Brake warning light.

If you apply 12 volts to this extra terminal when the handbrake is applied, you will fry the handbrake switch or your 12 volt source.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

It's shown on the double secret wiring diagram for a US '75 2002. A brown/grey wire from the handbrake lever switch attaches to it, and that illuminates the "Brake" warning light in the cluster.

The Brake warning light is also turned on via a brown/blue wire in the 12-conductor instrument cluster connector from the brake fluid level switch on the reservoir cap.

The brown/grey wire also goes to the seat belt interlock brain. The diode in the instrument cluster blocks the low fluid signal from the seat belt interlock.

You can safely ground this extra terminal, and that will turn on the Brake warning light.

If you apply 12 volts to this extra terminal when the handbrake is applied, you will fry the handbrake switch or your 12 volt source.

Thanks Curt. I appreciate the info.

I have left well alone and put the cluster back as it was.

Les

FAQ Member #17

• 2 months later...

Interesting thread. Just ran into this same issue today when I switched out the cluster from my 1974 (that has this spade terminal and a brown/grey stripe wire from the multi connector bundle) for a 2/73 manufactured black 1973 cluster (that does not have this spade terminal). With my original wiring, the "Brake" light would illuminate when the emergency brake was on and also presumably for any actual failure. I noticed the brake light indicator for the mid-year cluster that I put in actually says "Brake Failure", so maybe it doesn't illuminate for the e-brake.

I just tied off the unused brown/grey stripe lead with electrical tape and put everthing else back in with the mid-year cluster. The e-brake does not illuminate the "Brake" light when set now, but the light does come on with the little tester button right above it.

1974 2002 (Sahara)