• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The BMW smell.....

I am sure that we are all aware of the old musty 2002 smell. But has anyone ever noticed that some newer BMW's have a very distinct interior scent that, in my opinion, smells good. It's not quite a typical new car smell, but seems to be for a BMW. Well I was at the junkyard over the weekend and found an early 90's 7 series. The interior was all torn up but the smell was still there. It's like it never fades. It was nice, subtle, sweet smell that was still prominent amidst all the other crap in the junkyard. Does anyone know what I am talking about? Am I crazy? How do I install this scent into my 2002?

Regards,

Rusty

BMW's have a very distinct interior scent that, in my opinion, smells good. Am I crazy? How do I install this scent into my 2002?

I think what you are smelling is the natual decomp associated with the sweet byproducts of an Oberlander Draft Horse combined with rodent dung.

Can you have this odor in your 2002--yes, yes you can.

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

Yes, BMWs do have their own smell. I've noticed it with E30s. As they age, there is a different smell there from the normal old abused car. Almost smells like mildew, but not in a nasty or moldy way (it has a chemical nature to it). I just assumed it was something they used during the 80's/90's on BMWs.

73 Sahara

76 S52 swap of dooooooooom

01 540i-6

90 Range Rover classic (because 02s just weren't masochistic enough)

Great thread...and a topic my brother and I were discussing as we car pooled into work this morning in the 02. He asked me, what do I smell?

AH! I said, that is the intoxicating mixture of horsehair and vinyl with a subtle, just noticeable overtone of burnt oil and a slight hint of gasoline. That, I said, is the smell of performance and happiness.

1972 Tii

1997 Land Rover Defender LE #127

To me, there's nothing like the smell of a new BMW interior. I've lived thru the old, musty horsehair (gummihar) interiors of many VW's and don't miss them at all.

New Z4 at V@V. Mmmmm!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

i noticed it when i was looking at an e30 at a junk yard a couple of weeks ago. A friend of mine loves getting in my car because it reminds him of his grandpa's old truck. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a bimmer though.

Michael

If you want your 2002 to smell like a newer BMW interior, use Zaino Leather-in-a-bottle conditioner on the vinyl. Its the best stuff for leather and leaves no residue (matte finish). It also works on vinyl but does leave a slight shine (nothing major) since it can't penatrate the pores like with leather. It keeps it soft and has SPF40 UV protection. Smells EXACTLY like my new BMW's interiors, which still smell new thanks to this stuff...

http://www.zainostore.com/

Jeff
1975 Alfa Romeo GT1300Junior w/1600 transplant (I'm still stuck on 1600's LOL)
2006 M3 White/Red - Orig Owner,6spd,ZCP, sunroof delete
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600