• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rant - why don't more of you autocross?

mannix

Was thinking about it on the way back from an event over the weekend; we all like these goofy cars, there's great aftermarket support, and they're classed favorably in the SCCA (FSP).

Why are there only TWO of us seriously campaigning these cars?

I don't get it. You can put together a Nationals-winning car for well under $10k (glad to share my setup, all of it, I'm sure Steve is, too), it is way fun, and there are only TWO?

There are a couple of 02s that show up at BMWCCA autocrosses locally, but not the SCCA events (the Denver BMWCCA autocrosses are awesome, admittedly - lots of runs, SUPER nice people, etc - the SCCA events are great, too, but they're bigger and you get fewer runs, typically 4). The local SCCA events have much better competition than the BMWCCA events, at least here.

Blah blah blah - any thoughts? I "get" why there are not many Porsche people at SCCA events - very few Pcars are competitively classed in SCCA Solo.

In our case? That's just NOT an excuse:).

C'mon! Bring them out. It is fun.

Iain

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The people I'm trying to lure out are not doing PDXs or driver's ed or Solo1 or roadracing or any of that - you guys are already out doing something. I just wish more 2002s would autocross (or roadrace, but that's a WHOLE lot more expensive...).

I know there was a Cal Club guy who autocrossed a green square-light car.

Iain

some of us don't have cars that are ready for an autocross, or the resources or time to frequently participate. However I will say that I will be a freshman in college next year and will hopefully be autocrossing.

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

Was thinking about it on the way back from an event over the weekend; we all like these goofy cars, there's great aftermarket support, and they're classed favorably in the SCCA (FSP). Iain

I plan to run the remaining BMWCCA Autox events in Marina. The first time out there I saw Rick74 throwing down some quick times. The second time I was the only 02 out there and had a blast! About being classed favorably... What do you mean by that? I havent researched any of the SCCA events, but I'll look into that. The way my car is classified in the BMWCCA, I am running against cars in the AA group - some pretty stout cars IMHO. The only thing keeping me from crossing into the AAA group is a set of real tires and an LSD! Granted I'm not running a standard 02. Nonetheless - I am working on being smooth and sorting out my suspension. If you're local, hope to see you out there.

Hey, I 'unclass my car favorably' and put it in EP for no reason other than to get some local competition! There's no way I got the cash to compete nationally in FSP though.

But really, I dunno why we don't get more 02s... heck I see plenty of MGBs and some original minis here, but mine is always the only 02, despite us having a dozen 02s at the last midwest get-together. I think Jason tried an event in Cincy, though.

Honestly though, I haven't been running enough events lately. Lots of economic/job reasons, lack of fun competition, and it just takes too much gas for me to get there (usually an hour and a half drive to nearest AX).

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

I think one of the primary reasons is that our 02 is our daily driver. I remember taking mine to 3 driving schools, and I always had to fix stuff before AND after. It could also be the fear of doing something stupid and having no car at all. I think there is the assumption that you must have a dedicated "track" or "autocross" car, in order to let it rip and have fun. I personally, get confused with all the red cones and prefer the tracks... One day, I will do Laguna Seca when it's dry.

FAQ Member # 91

I'd bet a 2002 could do well in EP. There's one from Montana (?) that does OK, beautiful car.

I _know_ a 1600 could do GREAT in EP. 2 liter, ehh, the car can't get light enough (but it could certainly do well....).

Iain (Vail Tour, be there or be square! That's derogatory for any non-74+ 02 owner;)

I don't get it. You can put together a Nationals-winning car for well under $10k

Iain

Nobody runs here in SB, so it's either haul down to LA/OC/SD or up to the bay area. Not to mention the car isnt done yet, and I'll have several things that probably bump me out of FSP. But that's just because i'm building the car I want, not what is to the limit of the rules.

See you this weekend with the CCA at monterey though? I'll be in my e36.

David

Flickr

'74 2002 - The project

'98 M3

'04 Duramax 2500HD

ok i see whst you mean by autocross in Europe (as i now have to call it)

this is autocross http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuA7BnoOH3Q&feature=related and my first reaction to this was becuse i dont wont to smash my car up

but i take it this is what you mean

. this is somthing that i would like to do but i just dont have the time just yet