• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Had both of my 2002s totalled in two weeks!

Guest Anonymous

Basically, I view my 02 as a motorcycle with a little bit more steel. I always look around and try to be aware as well. However, at an intersection when someone is coming up behind you and isn't paying attention......there's not much you can do.

It's only going to get worse with the marriage of "always on" technology in the guise of smartphones. Now I've got Internet Radio, video, GPS, cell phone, SMS, Internet access, news alerts, banking, etc.....all in the palm of my hand WHILE driving. Gee, swell.

I eventually feel we should get to a point that when the car is running, electronic devices cannot operate. Turn the ignition off and they work. People used to stop their cars to picnic, chat, consult a map, etc.....

I'd like to see that happen again.

Course where does this stop. Should radios be allowed in cars?

Jerry

Jerry Curry

Salem, OR

-------------

Sorry about your luck. But it's not all bad luck. I got a $4 3rd brake light from an 80s Toyota that fits nicely on the rear shelf. Studies show a 3rd brake light reduces the chance of a rear-ender. Many will say it's especially true in these cars.

THIS - DEFINITELY THIS !

I am doing a Dr Frankenstein conversion ('02 becoming a tii from the dead donor + 320 diff/5 speed) and the running '02 has that 3rd light and believe me it's needed around where I live with all the goombas & yakkers.

I will do something with an LED array in both tail lights and go with a nice array over the parcel shelf just to be sure.

I always leave a car length when I can just for reasons like this.

Is fuel efficiency really what we need most desperately? I say what we really need is a car that can be shot when it breaks down.

- George Carlin

I was holding off on this until I got these fully installed, but this post has just totally freaked me out.

Even though I rebuilt my rear lamp housings and optimized everything the 8-10 times I've had my '70 02 out on the road in each case I almost got rear-ended as well by distracted/ confused or side-swiped by curious drivers.

I've installed two Command clear Stop/Tail/Turn lamps just under the headliner on left and right sides. These are fu**ing lasers. I'll have pictures and hopefully a step-by-step and a parts list Monday - or earlier. I've also noticed drivers interested in the car start to drift closer and closer and often have to veer away.

http://www.commandelectronics.com/led-tail-lights.html

Sorry about your loss, but good luck on the new find!

HOTLINE CLEAR.pdf

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!

Wow, apparently this subject is close to our hearts. This LED strip was designed for motorcycles but I think it would make a perfect 3rd brake light. Plus, it has Stopper technology. Flash,Flash, Flash, On It should get the attention of Mrs (and Mr.) Late for Soccer Practice.

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Stopper-LED-Brake-Light-p-16981.html

Jim Leadem

Madison, CT.

'72 2002 tii

'75 2002

'07 330ix

'69 Alfa Romeo Spider

'78 BMW R80/7

Major bummer. Glad no one was hurt, aside from feelings. Sounds like you have a great lead on a replacement though.

After hearing this I will certainly be pulling the 3rd brake light off the shelf and get it in the car sooner rather than later.

I am VERY curious what the other driver's insurance companies will be willing to pay out for your classic BMWs. Please post. Hopefully they don't give you too much of a headache or runaround.

Keep your spirits up and stay vigilant.

1975 2002

Gary Fisher 'Ferrous' Mountain Bike

16' Old Town Canoe