• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Are You Mounting Your Battery?

My 2002 came without a battery tiedown. Is there a company out there that makes one that works well for this application. I have a 73 2002. Any input would help.

2010 Mazda Miata GT PRHT

2011 Honda Civic LX-S(parts hauler)APPLIANCE ON WHEELS!!! Why would anyone drive this?????

1967 BMW 1600 EDDA 1528870

My Blog

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,353567/

The O.E. style lever clamp may not work, depending on where the receiver hole is located in your battery tray AND what size battery you are using.

Before buying any parts, look at your battery. Can you see the exposed flat portion of the tray? If so, can you locate a small hole either at the rear (toward the Master Cylinder) or on the engine side (toward the alternator)? The side-mount tray with O.E. hold-down is seen in Fernando's Inka 2002ti restoration blog.

Larger batteries will cover the entire tray so you cannot use the O.E. style hold-down. My old Interstate MT-42 was so big, the PO used a series of hose clamps to wrap around the battery and tray.

I replaced it with a much smaller Interstate 26R which now exposes the mounting hole in my tray. I purchased the O.E. hold-down assembly, but it was too far away from the battery, so I used a plastic wire connector block (from my VW) to take up the gap. The RealOEM parts diagram shows a plastic block that could be used for a spacer, but I bought (2) of them and they didn't fit my car.

If you have a tii, a larger battery (than the 26R) may cause the O.E. hold-down rod to interfere with the air cleaner - possibly enough so you cannot turn the lever.

Picture taken before I used a plastic "shim". The battery moved around on the tray.

New battery and hold-down

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"