• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Home brew rocks! Attention beer drinkers!

dubois

So one of my guys brews his own beer, AND is generous with his stash, so I get to bring some home. Even my wife agrees, this stuff is much, much better than the best on the supermarket shelves. "why don't we brew our own?" she says... translation: why don't you brew your own. Ok, I don't need yet another hobby - why buy the cow if I can milk it free? I am thinking make a monetary donation to my guy so he can keep supplying me with the good stuff...hard to fire somebody like that now.

Why is it so good? Freshness or is it the Hollister water??? Why most of the beer out there feels very mediocre now??? Is it that easy to make a good beer at home? Or my guy has special talent??? Favorite one is what he calls Apricot beer - I don't taste "no apricot" though...

FAQ Member # 91

It isn't hard to home brew once you get a hang of it. Your first batch will most likely taste no where near your employee's. It is a hobby that can definitely go from a simple set up to extreme very fast. Once you have it down, though, it is hard to go buy a six pack off the shelf again.

-John

76 Verona 2002

74 Sahara 2002

most brewing supply places have kits for all the supplies you need to make a batch of beer, and specific kits for making certain beer styles. it's pretty easy. once you get the hang of it you can tweak those recipes or create your own recipes and buy different kinds and amounts of hops, malt etc. as you need.

Michael,

I started out with a Mr Beer kit that was given to me second-hand. It sat around in my closet for a couple of years and then I finally decided to give it a shot. Broke open the box and followed the directions. (Pretty easy as their basic kits are mostly extracts.) After a few weeks I cracked open the first bottle- I MADE BEER!!!! I...AM...A...GOD!

I brewed up a few batches with this kit. One was good, one was fantastic, one was horrid, another was good. What I learned was that if you follow someone elses recipe, and do ALL the proper steps, the end result will be pretty good. When you start to experiment and stray from the 'recipe', the results may be either spectacular or extremely bad. I am still in the learning phase of my brewing.

Again, I was given another second-hand brewing kit from a co-worker that never used it. This time I went up to a 5 gallon two tank kit. As a result, the Mr Beer kit sits in a box in my shed for the last couple of years.

If you want, I'll ship it down to you, gratis. It's complete with the tank, bottles, instructions, and even a can or two of extract. All you would need is some fresh yeast, and water. This little kit gives you just under 2 gallons of beer (8 of their plastic bottles). I'd recommend brewing while you have the house to yourself- my wife and son don't really like the smell. I like it. It smells like...victory.

Let me know!

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Michael,

If you want, I'll ship it down to you, gratis. It's complete with the tank, bottles, instructions, and even a can or two of extract. All you would need is some fresh yeast, and water. This little kit gives you just under 2 gallons of beer (8 of their plastic bottles). I'd recommend brewing while you have the house to yourself- my wife and son don't really like the smell. I like it. It smells like...victory.

Let me know!

all right, twist my arm, I believe in re- cycling, ship it to the shop... and thank you! (1745 SAN FELIPE #5, 95023)

Michael

FAQ Member # 91