• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thunderhill Raceway

pureaudio

Anyone on here frequent Thunderhill Raceway? A few family members and I would like to do some track days with the 02's. Looking at the event schedule, there are a few clubs that attend regularly and have websites. There are a couple of days marked for "BMW Club", anyone know what club specifically? There is also days marked for SCCA which I have looked into in the past. Just wondering what the best course of action is for a group of people who have never been on a track.

Edit: Just found that it is BMWCCA putting on a driving school on August 8-9. $439 for 2 day school and includes membership to BMWCCA. I think I will try and do this as it seems like the best way to get started.

-John

-John

76 Verona 2002

74 Sahara 2002

I'm certainly not a "regular" at Thunderhill as I've only driven there one time, through NASA's HPDE program. I've also heard good things about NCRC. Thunderhill is a nice track for novices like myself as it has nice large runoff areas and you don't feel like you're likely to total your car if you overshoot a corner. Keep in mind that T-Hill in August will likely be very hot and there is basically zero shade in the paddock area. If you've got one, bring a pop-up tent to give you some shade so you don't get super parched between sessions. Through both of the above groups, there are also numerous events throughout the year, so it wouldn't be hard to find one a little later in the year when the temps won't be so high. Either way, try to go with a group where you can have an instructor ride with you at least some portion of the time, and ask tons of questions, there's so much to learn!!!

Here's the particulars:

August 8 & 9 - Thunderhill Driving School. Registration is now open for this event. For the first time in our chapter's history, we are combining a Club Racing weekend with our Driving School. And, as an added bonus, we'll have a two-hour Enduro race on Saturday night, with a track-side BBQ ($20/person). You can watch the race and enjoy chicken and tri-tip, fresh from the grill. Event cost for this two-day school is $399 for members and $439 for non-members ($439 price includes a non-refundable one-year BMW CCA membership). A- and B-group drivers will enjoy more liberal passing rules at this event. These events typically sell out well before the published registration close date, so don't delay. Register now! http://www.ggcbmwcca.org/?page=calendar&id=395

I teach at the Car Control Clinics and we have gotten very good reviews for our program. The GGC carries that up to and beyond with the track schools.

Thunderhill is a very forgiving track- no "Turn 10 Club". About the worst I've seen is the cars filled with dust after going off. But there was this one 2002 that decided to run with no windsheild...

It can be unbearably hot there, but the past couple of months has been unseasonably cool. You'll never know. Prepare for anything. I did one school at Willow Springs. Saturday the wind was coming from the valley and everyone was in t-shirts. Sunday, the wind was coming off the hills- everyone was in coats.

If you haven't done a car control clinic, sign up for one before your track date. You'll get MUCH more out of your track time. Next one is at Marina on July 25th. See motorsportreg.com and create your account name now.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

of BMWCCA.

They put on an excellent HPDE program. You'll have a very good instructor in your car helping you learn the line on the track. Pay attention to the classroom sessions and you'll get smoother (faster) quickly.

Thunderhill is not my favorite track (too many long straights make it more of a pure horsepower track), but it is lots of fun.

Regards,

John N

Thanks for all the info guys! The car control clinic is something I will really try and attend. Being that it is the day before my son's first birthday, I will have to do some early party planning to free up that day.

-John

76 Verona 2002

74 Sahara 2002