• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bernadette

mpap89

I've affectionately named my car Bernadette. She is a '69 1600 with a '74 2002 engine. She was originally Chamonix and had a awful respray right before i bought her. Looks great from 10 feet but once you get up close you see that it really sucks. Cutterug told me to take the auto body course at the local community college and this week i've started working on the trunk lid. The plan right now is to repaint the car inka. new carpet kit, headliner, recaros, go back to stock exhaust... the list seems to go on and on.

post-16284-1366760799228_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty sure I'll stick with the m10. Maybe down the road I'll put megasquirt in it. For now I'm going to work on the body. I have some new h&r sport springs waiting to be put in now. I just need some Billy sports.

Right on!! Glad to see Bernadette's transformation will be logged here... If I could get my camera working properly, I'd have some pics up myself on the '75 Can O Worms...

Was stoked to see you pulled the trigger on the inside of your trunk lid... Keep it up, and we'll BOTH be putting final color on our cars about the same time - say three years from now? ;-)

See ya at the shop tomorrow. Keep the posts coming.

Cheers,

Adam

(==\___| SQARY02|___/==)

1975 Millie the Falcon (Originally Polaris, currently Primer-Grey/Spa-Blue)

1975 Eamon the Golden Nugget (Originally Golf, currently several other yellows, someday Dakar)

Right on!! Glad to see Bernadette's transformation will be logged here... If I could get my camera working properly, I'd have some pics up myself on the '75 Can O Worms...

Was stoked to see you pulled the trigger on the inside of your trunk lid... Keep it up, and we'll BOTH be putting final color on our cars about the same time - say three years from now? ;-)

See ya at the shop tomorrow. Keep the posts coming.

Cheers,

Adam

yeah. Who knows when I'll finish. Also, I'm borrowing your trunk.

Michael

in the last few days i've gotten epoxy primer then primer surfacer on the trunk lid. I mixed up some inka today and tried it out. There wasn't enough activator in the paint so it didn't spread well. I'll be wet sanding and respraying on saturday. It is nice to have a little color going though.

IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0263.JPG

IMG_0270.JPG

Did some more inka spraying, inka mixing, wet sanding, more spraying, and finally some clear coat. I got some yellow chunks coming out of the gun today so i had to wet sand it and respray it. The clear coat turned out pretty well, a little bit of dust made some not so perfect spots and a little sagging where the trim will go. All in all i'm pretty happy with my first time clear coating. tomorrow i'll be doing this process over again with the hood. Now i know what to do so it should go faster.

IMG_0278.JPG

the trunk is more or less done. I started on the hood yesterday with some aircraft paint stripper.

IMG_0281.JPG

I DAed the top and started on the bottom today. Its hard to get all the nooks and crannies of the hood. its a lot more complicated than the trunk lid. I'll be borrowing a soda blaster on monday to get everything then i'll start body work and epoxy primer.

IMG_0287.JPG

While i work on the hood the trunk is sitting in a honda odyssey training vehicle here at the school. hopefully the greenhouse effect will aid in the curing of the clear coat. I'm going to put it on in about a month so i can let the clearcoat harden a bit. Its still quite soft.

IMG_0288.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on the hood lately and some other small projects while i'm waiting for stuff to dry.

since i took my hood off i decided to redo my hinges. 45 minutes of sandblasting and some powdercoating made them look better than new.

mid sandblasting

IMG_0312.JPG

after coating

IMG_0313.JPG

the hood sits with epoxy primer right now. I'll be doing coats of primer surfacer, block sanding, then more primer surfacer until is nice and straight.

IMG_0314.JPG

I worked on my center console. Using cutterug's old console, a jigsaw, and a router with a roundoff bit i made these. I'm not sure if i'll stick with ply wood or use mdf. So far the ply wood seems fine.

IMG_0321.JPG

I also got some e21 era recaros a couple weeks ago. I installed the aardvark webbing replacement and i just need to reweld me damaged seat mounts then they'll go in the car. They aren't in amazing shape, so they'll be reupholstered sometime in the future.

Painting in 102 degree weather can be tricky. I learned that one today.

IMG_0322.JPG

The paint was drying before it hit the hood today and the primer surfacer just ended up looking more like textured paint than smooth grey primer. After a second go around the hood turned out better. Now i know my lesson.

IMG_0323.JPG

I also sand blasted and powdercoated my seat rails.

Hey, whose DOPE e28 is that in the background?? ;-)

Keep up the good work, and keep up the documentation! I have epically failed in getting my photos from my camera to FAQers eyes... You are an inspiration to do better...

See ya at class.

(==\___| SQARY02|___/==)

1975 Millie the Falcon (Originally Polaris, currently Primer-Grey/Spa-Blue)

1975 Eamon the Golden Nugget (Originally Golf, currently several other yellows, someday Dakar)