• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve adjustment on cold engine with only hot specs (22re)??

KFunk

So, my friend just put the head back on his Toyota pick-up truck (22re) and the valves look way out of spec. All repair manuals say the valves have to be adjusted with the engine is hot (.008 intake, .012 exhaust).

So, what should he adjust them to as a cold baseline? Will the gap increase or decrease when it gets warmer?

It's also gotta be a pain to take it back apart to do them later, since like most EFI engines, theres all kinds of hoses and crap you gotta take off to get to the valve cover.

I've googled and googled, and mostly find people that give hot specs and say to adjust them when warm. A few people say they can be adjusted to 0.007/0.011 when cold, as the factory supposedly did. But wouldn't the gap get tighter when it warms up, due to thermal expansion? Thats what CompCams DIY page says...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

dang!

I have the valve adjustment specs for M10 / M20 / M30 scrawled on my tool box at work in Sharpie ( in both hot and cold conditions). I cannot for the LIFE of me remember which is larger - though I think it's hot. Sorry I'm not much help here.

American stuff sure is dumb, ain't it? If it helps make you feel better - Jaguar stuff is 5 times worse. The lack of transmission pan drain plugs comes to mind immediately. WTF!!!!???

paul wegweiser

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

dang!

I have the valve adjustment specs for M10 / M20 / M30 scrawled on my tool box at work in Sharpie ( in both hot and cold conditions). I cannot for the LIFE of me remember which is larger - though I think it's hot. Sorry I'm not much help here.

American stuff sure is dumb, ain't it? If it helps make you feel better - Jaguar stuff is 5 times worse. The lack of transmission pan drain plugs comes to mind immediately. WTF!!!!???

paul wegweiser

what were we talkin about thats american? I was talkin about a toyota truck.

but actually we found out recently that some american cars do have drain plugs for auto trannies... when the plug fell out on my buddies festiva and dumped fluid everywhere and it ground to a halt... but we found out a BMW/VDO temp sender will double as a festiva drainplug!

(oh, and yeah the festiva engine was mazda designed and kia built....)

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser