• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPEED Channel started copy protection Friday . . .

f1reverb

My recording of British GP practice failed Friday morning, so I stayed up all night to record qualifying manually, only to find the SPEED Channel signal is now copy protected. This is using a standalone DVD recorder, not a Tivo/DVR/HDR. I've recorded every GP since Dallas in 1984, and I'll be able to get the next three GPs on Fox over the air, but unless I get a copy protection flag buster quick I won't be able to time shift practice and qualifying, and ultimately be out of DVDing the races anymore either. At least Le Mans wasn't copy protected. I'm ready to say goodbye to cable/satellite anyway, so fuck SPEED. Time Warner says SPEED is who instituted copy protection, not TW.

Thief, you shouldn't steal other people's copyrighted material.

Isn't it you who lectured me for paragraph after paragraph for pasting someone else's pictures of my own car?

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Isn't it you who lectured me for paragraph after paragraph for pasting someone else's pictures of my own car?

i think someone needs an oil change.

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

recording/time-shifting and how it applies to individuals, which is entirely legal for personal use. There is extensive case law and legal precedent establishing this fact . . .

The famous Betamax case . . .

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/B/htmlB/betamaxcase/betamaxcase.htm

Harris, Paul. "Supreme Court O.K.'s Home Taping: Approve 'Time Shifting' for Personal Use." Variety (Los Angeles), 18 June 1984.

Lardner, James. "Annals of Law; The Betamax Case: Part 1."The New Yorker (New York), 6 April 1987. _______________. "Annals of Law; The Betamax Case: Part 2." The New Yorker (New York), 13 April 1987.

Time shifting . . .

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/T/htmlT/timeshifting/timeshifting.htm

" The VCR was introduced into the home television market in the United States during the mid-1970s. As the sale of VCRs increased in the early 1980s, more and more viewers began taping programs off-the-air. Program producers and other copyright owners went to court to stop what they believed to be infringement of their copyrights. Universal Studios sued Sony Corporation, the inventor and patent holder of the Betamax VCR, in hopes of stopping home taping of television programs, or of charging royalties for such copying. A U.S. Court of Appeals ruled in Universal's favor, but the matter went to the U.S. Supreme Court which issued its famous "Betamax" decision in 1984. Central to that decision was the granting of permission to home television viewers to record television shows for purposes of viewing them later at a more convenient time (i.e. time shifting.) The high court ruled that such copying constituted fair use, and would not hurt the market value of the programming itself to program producers. The court's decision was vague on the issue of warehousing tape copies. For example, if a viewer is a fan of a soap opera such as As The World Turns, and makes copies of each and every episode with the intention of building a library of the entire program series for repeated playback in the future, that would be warehousing. The court may have left this matter deliberately vague, however, because it would be virtually impossible to enforce a ban on such warehousing without violating a person's right to privacy.

The unauthorized copying issue is raised again each time a new electronic media technology is introduced to the public. The courts are likely to continue to support the concept of time shifting and other, similar personal uses of these technologies in the future.

-Robert G. Finney"

My issue with what you did downloading a photographer's copyrighted work to your hard drive and then using the photo without permission is a different issue. If you had just linked to the photographer's site then I wouldn't have made an issue of it.

Here's my 2 cents.... I'm wondering if the F1 races are copy protected because of Formula One Inc. (Bernie Ecclestone). It wouldn't surprise me one bit Bernie is finding a way to get his money from US enthusiasts even if we're not willing to pay to have an F1 race in this country.

Andy W.

'72 Tii & '74 Tii

'88 M3 & '91 318is

and you can read about it here . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_flag

"A broadcast flag is a set of status bits (or a "flag") sent in the data stream of a digital television program that indicates whether or not the data stream can be recorded, or if there are any restrictions on recorded content. Possible restrictions include the inability to save an unencrypted digital program to a hard disk or other non-volatile storage, inability to make secondary copies of recorded content (in order to share or archive), forceful reduction of quality when recording (such as reducing high-definition video to the resolution of standard TVs), and inability to skip over commercials."

and the analog version is this CGMS-A . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CGMS-A

"Copy Generation Management System - Analog (CGMS-A) is a copy protection mechanism for analog television signals. It is not the same as the Broadcast flag, which is designed for use in digital television signals. The concept is the same as the Broadcast flag.[1] There is a digital form of CGMS specified as CGMS-D which is required by the DTCP ("5C") protection standard."

There are a few devices that can disable the code or allow you to alter it, and they run about 80 bucks and up for versions that degrade the signal and into the thousands for pro units that don't degrade the signal.

The point is that the inablity to timeshift is a nightmare. It is also done randomly, as HBO has BF and Showtime, their sister, doesn't.

I'm going to complain to NASCAR and rile up NASCAR fans as they carry the weight these days.

I'm going to see if my non-HD cable box via S-Video is not affected. I'll report back.

Regarding the possibility that Bernie and the F1 TV rights holder is demanding the copy protection, that is not the case. The reason that four races are broadcast on free over-the-air TV each season is a requirement of the F1 TV rights holder in order to have broader coverage that is not restricted to pay television. The F1 TV rights holder is well aware that time shifting is necessary for F1.

a non copy-protected signal over S-Video, while the HD box (both are Scientific Atlanta) outputs a copy-protected signal over S-Video. The HD box does not output SPEED in HD though, the signal is exactly the same as the non-HD box, i.e. standard definition. The HD box does not output SPEED in HD at all, even over component video (which is the only way the box outputs an HD signal at all). Essentially Time Warner is broadcasting SPEED HD in standard definition, and it is still the same channel as before, unlike all other HD channels being grouped together.

So, now I can record SPEED again if I connect the non-HD box with a fifty foot S-Video cable, and handcuff my girlfriend to the bed so she doesn't go switching channels on the non-HD box on me. I'll probably have to get another non-HD box from TW and set it up on top of the HD box, just to record SPEED so I don't suffer The Burning Bed from bogarting both the current cable boxes.

What a nightmare.

did someone say time shifting?

http://thepiratebay.org/search/f1/0/7/0

i get 99% of my non-news tv via torrents. so much more convenient as i can tote my laptop with me anywhere and output to most any tv (most often this is hotel tvs on jenna visits) via the s-video output. or just watch on lappy screen, or my 21" monitor (oldschool CRT)... not to mention downloading an entire season at a time, no commercials, etc.

• 2 weeks later...