• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Bay Sticker Location - take a look

mcaden

I have read many previous posts about engine bay stickers, but I still have a few questions. I have determined where most of the stickers go, but I need your help making sure (1) these stickers are appropriate for a 73 2002 (and not later/earlier models; note: my car was manufactured on 2/22/73); (2) confirming that my locations are correct; and (3) for two of them I don't know where they go, do you? If you have pictures of your engine sticker location or you have a 73 2002 with original stickers... all the better.

Two stickers I don't know where they go:

1. Red A/C sticker (note: my car has a stock Behr A/C; should this sticker be present?)

2. Blue Bremsgerat T51

Stickers I would like to confirm the location for and that they are correct for a 73 roundie:

1. Fuses - driver's side adjacent to brake fluid reservoir

2. Battery sticker - driver's side below the fuse sticker

3. Cooling system - just below battery sticker (working your way toward the front of the car)

4. Orange Achtung Sticker - passenger side in same basic location as the fuse sticker

5. Agave (color) sticker - above VIN plate on passenger side.

Many thanks for all of your assistance!

-Marc

Proposed Locations:

IMG_1595.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

Where do these two go?

IMG_1597.jpg

'73 2002 (Agave) - Horst

There has been much discussion about that, but the consensus is that they were randomly affixed at the factory, sometimes dependent on where the employee was standing.

Basically, the fuse stickers go on the left side under the hood hold down rod or under the left side of the hood itself, below the vents.

The car color goes under the VIN plate.

Air pressure of tires on the left fender well behind the strut.

Tire pressure on the right fender well, near the car color

Vehicle capacity in the rear of the left fender well.

Oil service on the left fender well.

Running in inside the windshield on the top right side.

Achtung on the right fender well in front of the strut.

Battery warning near the battery

Coolant warning near the radiator or on the cowl, if you have one

This is information I received from Bob Kaufman (TILUX) who also sells all of these stickers.

Never let school get in the way of your education!

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Here are pics of the placement I used based on numerous cars:

15875kx.jpg

2ebtklz.jpg

2rdfg2f.jpg

wlbr61.jpg

11sgoyf.jpg

34hthrl.jpg

Plus here's something from a previous post:

from the end of 1973, the color decals was placed in the front of the right fender in the euro models. The map position decals for 1973 up euro vesion is:

stickermodel73.jpg

A- Fuses

B- Tire pressure

C- Batt

D- cooling

E- Color

F- Warning (orange decal)

G- Oil

H- ECE decal

for USA models, apply the Emissions decal in right side, near windshield, and the color decal replace the H position of the ECE decal

ECE decal not apply for USA versions

Regards

And, the confusion will continue as I believe these stickers were put on as prior posters have said, "depending where the sticker placer was standing."

On a side note, my brother and I just finished a '64 Chevelle SS which made the top 3 at Chevellebration in Nashville. Our biggest confusion was whether to place the "jack sticker" level or crooked like most we had seen on unmolested cars. So...it also happened in the states also.

Put them where you think they should go. Rest assured, when you raise your hood at a show, you'll get various comments whether they are correct.

LOL

j9273c.jpg
'71 Agave, '71 Verona, '74 Inka, '73 Chamonix

"FAQ Member Number 60"

I just spoke with Carl from La Jolla Independent (who I purchased the stickers from) and I have a slight update to my initial post. He said that all of my proposed locations (as indicated in my above pictures) were correct, except for the fuse sticker (which should go where Mike W's car has it pictured under the hood vent). Carl said that the red A/C sticker went on aftermarket and you see it all over the place... but typically on the passenger side next to the orange Achtung! sticker (similar location as the battery sticker, but on the other side of the car). Does this make sense to everyone? Please let me know.

Another update: I just saw Mike's decal diagram (listed above with comments) and it looks correct. One other thing I just noticed - altho the location of my battery and coolant stickers are correct... I think they need to be rotated 180 degrees to face toward the driver's seat (as in Mike's pictures), correct?

Again, much thanks,

-Marc

'73 2002 (Agave) - Horst

You've now stepped into the sticker twilight zone here on the FAQ.

Rotate your coolant and battery stickers 180 degrees and you should be good to go. In my opinion, some logic to the sticker placement is from an assembly line worker and mechanic standing alongside the fenders viewing the compartment.

Some "original" cars I've seen had (2) different tire pressure stickers (in separate places), so there are lots of unusual combinations out there.

Regarding the A/C sticker, Lawrence Charlemayne's beautiful blue car has it placed on the right side hood. Seems like a good place for it, since the connectors are on the R.S. of the engine and it doesn't detract from the clean fenderwell.

AC sticker

Here are some sticker pics I took of Ben's low mileage Nevada 1600 at the V@V last month.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Left side hood

target="_blank">Photobucket

target="_blank">Photobucket

Photobucket

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Marc

Rotate the two stickers as you note and I do believe the fuse sticker goes in the plenum area not where you have it

The blue sticker goes on the brake booster, after you paint it.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Without a doubt, Fernando Vargas' sticker placement sketch is right on the money for a squarelight Euro car (Sept '73 on), plus his notes about the colour sticker replacing the EC sticker above the VIN plate.

For a '72 forget the orange Achtung sticker, that also appeared late '73.

FYI - the coolant and battery stickers often swapped positions.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

LOL. I've been searching for a while now. Some graphic designer could probably scan a good one (blank VIN) and print it on standard decal stock. As Bill Williams has reminded me, the stickers were designed to self-destruct when removed to prevent tampering.

There are multiple versions of the emissions and door jamb stickers based on the year and market where originally sold.

Just curious...anyone know of a source for the metalic colored, circle cut/"fishscale" stickers for emissions and manufacture date/vin?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Bill: I like how you snuck into your post me painting the brake booster - you won't let me out of doing that will you. Actually, my wife and kids are going away in August and I plan to devote a little time that week tidying up the engine bay (painting, waxing, degreasing, etc.). Carl at La Jolla mentioned that the blue sticker goes on top of the brake booster... so I will hold off on placing the sticker until I clean up the booster and paint it. Also, when you get a chance, can you email where I can buy that adhesive silver stripping that you used on your door panels? I probably won't get to that until winter... but I might as well buy the stuff.

Jim: I like the picture you supplied with the A/C sticker... it might be nice to have it there rather than on the fender. Carl said those stickers end up all over the place because they went on aftermarket... so I figure I have more options.

Finally, I know there has been some discussion about whether the Achtung warning sticker appeared on the 73 roundies. One of the above posts suggests the late 73 got the Achtung sticker? Mine is an early 73... e.g., manufactured in Feb. 1973. Any opinions as to whether I should include the Achtung sticker or not?

Again, much thanks for everyone chiming in and for the pictures.

-Marc

'73 2002 (Agave) - Horst