• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Car Shopping

JackF

I need a work car. I drive a LOT...50K/yr. Currently in an Outback that has been excellent, but could actually use a bit bigger. All wheel drive is pretty much a necessity as I cover New England. I would prefer a wagon but am also looking at the smaller SUV's. We have a Yukon XL in the business, but that is for towing and trade shows and occassional use. I prefer a smallish car. I'll go look at the A4 Avant, but think that smaller than the Subaru. I may go drive a Jetta diesel, but I remain really pissed off at VW after buying their damned cars for 35 yrs, but while it doesn't have AWD, 40 mpg appeals to me. I'm amazed I even willing to give them that.

I was waiting for the diesel Forrester but hear that has been delayed. I would like a diesel but am unwilling to pay 62k for an X5 or 52 for a Toureg. I would love a 3 series diesel Touring, but BMW in their infinite wisdom doesn't want to give me the cars I want to buy. They protect the X5 by only offering the diesel in the 5 series and again not in a Touring Probably to much money anyway. I only spend exorbitant sums on old BMW's What is wrong with that picture?

I wish I could wait. Mahindra (I'm seriously looking at one of their tractors) is coming out with a diesel SUV next year and a hybrid diesel in '11.

What do you like? What am I missing?

Jack, I am on my third X5. I had a 2000 4.4 and still have an 02 and 03 4.6is. If you like the X5, and obviously I do, there are many low mileage examples for sale that still carry the factory warrantee. As with all new BMW's, if you are going to keep the car for an extended period of time, ignore the factory maintenance and change the fluids, filters, etc. on a regular basis. The cooling systems are the primary weakness in these cars and need updating (because of all the plastic) every 60k or so with a new radiator at 100k. They also (because of the wt and power) need suspension bushings every 75k or so. Good luck, Tim

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

You should take a good look at a V70 R. AWD, roomy, and there are a few out there with warranties left on 'em. They didn't make an 08, but a low mileage demo/used one is a good deal. Of course, I am biased, but I never had a Volvo that didn't last over 200k with the original engine and tranny.

"Why would I pay that much money for a 1981 BMW that looks...like a 1981 BMW?" -Charles William Jones, Jr.

1975 Polaris, Sunroof

1976 Malaga

1993 E36 Sedan

1992 Mazda Miata

1998 Volvo V70