• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upper Strut Bearing question

FunElan

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous
I bought upper strut bearings from BavAuto and put them in about a year ago. The top part of the rubber is already cracked. Is this normal??

TIA,

Matt

Is there a lower strut bearing? Cracking is abnormal for a new rubber part. Nevertheless, many of those mounts were coated with a sealant to protect against ozone deterioration. Could it be that the protective coating is what's cracked? More often than not the cracks appearing on the mounts are obvious only when the mount is stressed as in already installed. If yours are cracked prior to installation are they used? Did you drop them on the freeway? lol

Pics will help the diagnosis....

But I have witnessed some small cracks in the past.

The mounts usually have a coating of paint on them... As the paint gets older and the mounts do their job you will start to get small cracks around the top of the rubber portion of the mounts, just in the paint.

If yours is worse post some pics.

KC

...do you wash your underpants while wearing them in the shower ? (C.D. - 5/28/2009)

should I complain to BavAuto? They're less than 2 years old.

i would ask what they do. also ask them if they are oe or indian made. a lot of the guibo's ,center bearings etc are made in india,.. im not saying bavauto sells them because i dont know. but a lot of world pac parts are cheaply made and some are exactly what you get at the dealer. you have to ask

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

Check to see that you have the right part. I just finished my 2 year hassle with this same part - steering binding / popping, etc. Same cracks like your photo. Turned out to be the wrong part. I'm done with Bavauto as I've had other issues with them as well.

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

Matt,

I agree, those are goners! When you get replacements, no matter where you get them, get the ones with the shorter mounting bolts. Yours were made to go through the cars with spacers under the fender . MOst have removed the spacers ( as your car shows you are not running the spacers). The ones with shorter studs mount the same, just don't have all that extra thread showing when installed. Mesa Performance in Costa Mesa carries them in stock if you have trouble finding them locally. Good luck with Bav Auto, they aren't very good with returns or exchanges.

Original Owner, Malaga 1973 tii, unrestored.

1985 Euro M635, Cinnabar, fast and fun!

2003 325i, Alpine White

2007 530i Sport, Titanium Silver

2000 Tundra LTD, White, Daily driver

2011 Audi A3 TDI, White, son's new car!

Fun Elan,

I had a local shop install springs, shocks, mounts that I bought. I should have done the job myself. After they could not figure out what was binding in the steering i took it to another more reputable BMW shop and they found out that washers were installed improperly. Something still did not feel right and then cracks started appearing on the mount. Took it back to reputable BMW shop and instructed them to replace with BMW mounts. They said as soon as the others were out they could tell they were the wrong part. The first shop should have compared parts to begin with. After it was done the first time I was lost because I had never taken apart that assembly before. Anyway I talked recently to Carl Nelson and he mentioned he has seen a number of problems just like this with aftermarket mounts. Best bet is to go with BMW parts here.

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

Unless they are giving you them for free replacement, why would you even bother? I tell you, call Mesa Performance and make sure you ask for the ones with the short bolts. You can swing by and pick them up after Cars&Coffee Saturday.

www.mesaperformance.com

Original Owner, Malaga 1973 tii, unrestored.

1985 Euro M635, Cinnabar, fast and fun!

2003 325i, Alpine White

2007 530i Sport, Titanium Silver

2000 Tundra LTD, White, Daily driver

2011 Audi A3 TDI, White, son's new car!