• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering gearbox for 1972 2002

Samplemaven

Does anyone out there have a steering gear box for sale? My 1972 2002 has one that has been adjusted once, and I was told it couldn't be adjusted out a second time.

If anyone has one...or has some advice for me, please respond. I live in North Georgia.

Thanks,

Samplemaven

BMWCCA #420368

'72 2002 Tii Inka restoration project

'07 550i Titanium Silver, steptronic...ED 2006

Who says it can't be adjusted more than once? Bull, that's why it has an adjustment screw! Does it have excessive (lots) of free play at end of travel? If so, turn in the screw a little and see if it helps. Does it click and hang up in stop to stop travel? Then you need another one. Does it leak gear oil? does it even have oil in it? These things really last and last and, unless shot from running dry can be adjusted many times over their life span. Maybe all you need is new seals. A new or rebuilt will cost many bucks and a used one is the proverbial pig in a poke. Look long and hard at yours first and maybe have another '02er check it out. If yours is bad, you can't make it any worse by trying to adjust it.

Hate to hear that "somebody said...." business.

Fritz Bimmer

72 Golf

73 Chamonix

66 P car

If your steering box has no more adjustment, I have a good one out of of a 1070 which will work with no problems. E-mail me at bartlam@clearwire.com if interested.

Thanks for the offer. I am getting my car back sometime next week and will check the adjustment and see how it goes. I've noted your email address and will be in touch.

By the way, what is a 1070?

Samplemaven

BMWCCA #420368

'72 2002 Tii Inka restoration project

'07 550i Titanium Silver, steptronic...ED 2006