• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just bought my first 2002! Pics for your consideration.

autoaloha

Just needed a change so I'm selling my 4runner and getting back to basics with a 2002.

It's a 1974 automatic (which i would prefer be standard, but in HI options are limited), and it's all original with SEARS brand tires and 76,000 miles. Everything is stock except the floor mats and I'm the third owner, the second had it for ten years and only put 1K miles on it. It came with all the original books and stuff, and everything works except the clock(the AC is super cold too, and has been converted to R134).

Of course there's some rust, but its not under the carpet(I checked) or in the spare tire well and strut towers are pretty clean too. Other hidden spots may make themselves known, but I looked pretty thoroughly prior to purchase.

So tell me what you think, I am new to this 2002 game and I am pretty stoked about all the time I'm gonna get to spend on this car. oh, and about the rust- there's some surface rust, but it's not that bad as far as I can tell. please give me any input or advice... thanks guys!

on my list, which are my only complaints: refurbish selt belt retraction mechanism, fix the clock, maybe do something about the seat foam and discoloration in headrests along and I want to remove the middle door protective moulding strip because i don't think it's stock(any advice?) all this and start getting after the small bits of rust!

2002dh.jpg

2002interior.jpg

enginefromport.jpg

[/url]

1984 Pininfarina Spider Azzura (Fiat 124): sold

1992 300ZX Twin Turbo: sunny days

2001 Toyota 4runner: sold

1974 BMW 2002 automatic: daily

1991 BMW 325iC: sold

1986 BMW 528e: daily

Congrats on your new ride! Nice color combination! You don't see many with the light gray interior. Looks to be pretty solid to me.

You might want to check to see if the additional side molding installed by the PO can be removed without harming the paint. I would make sure everything is working correctly on the mechanical side (brakes, cooling system, transmission, etc,), give it an engine compartment detailing and would enjoy it for a while before starting to modify it. That is, if you do plan on modifying it. A stock auto 2002 is great for island driving, IMHO.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

thanks meng, I totally agree about the island auto sentiment, traffic is terrible here due to the island topography and lack of city planning. :P and i'm with you about getting the mechanicals sorted out first. the brakes were just worked on, thats what led to the sale actually- old dude just decided he was tired of maintenance on a car he so rarely drove. I plan on keeping it as stock as possible- hence the desire to remove that ugly door belt. and yes, you hit it on the button about the engine detail. I kinda want to avoid pulling it unless I'm gonna respray. anyways, i guess its time to start looking for a suitable car club...

Good looking car, I really like the interior color. After a good cleaning it will look great. Check out the BMW Car Club (BMWCCA). There is a chapter on one of the islands, I have seen posting on other forums. A heat gun should help to remove the trim. It is most likely adhesive backed. Don't get the paint to hot or it will bubble, a hair drier work fine.

1975; 2002

1995; 318ti

2004; 330i ZHP

Real nice car.

You found a good /great one and you know the history to boot. Sounds like you are a purist. Good, Keep it stock. Congrats.

EDIT: That thing is not original. The battery is not stock and I think the washer bottle was replaced with the square one.

You better sell that now.

To me :}

Nice find with the light colored interior. Looks like PO replaced the upper radiator hose and (blue) brake fluid hoses and maybe the distributor.

A thorough cleaning of the engine and underside may help reveal "what's next" on the to do list. Your heater hoses may be original, so I'd replace both of them to ensure you don't spring a leak and overheat the engine.

Using a low cost set of hog-ring pliers, you can easily remove the stock seat covers and add foam to build-up the cushions (remove crumbly horse hair pads), then put the covers back on.

Contact FAQ poster "Bluedevils" to discuss his retractible seat belts.

Good luck and start a project blog to keep us updated on your progress and findings.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

ahaha! after posting I just knew someone would call attention to that bottle and battery! good eyes my friend. I am going to check out a donor car tomorrow and maybe scoop up some goodies then.

yeah, i saw that someone was selling refurbed seatbelt sets, but i kinda want to keep it in house, and didn't see a FAQ covering the procedure either... maybe that can be my first contribution to the forum.

and the seats- ah the seats, what is this horsehair business? and how come the seat foam FAQ has no helpful pics? I like to know what I'm getting into, and he wrote that the each seat took 6-8 hrs?!? gosh, that was disconcerting to say the least, maybe I'll just remove the passenger side and break it down to see whats happening in there.

very exciting. the automatic is a lot of fun. Totally diff than having a clutch pedal, but enjoyable in it's own way.

You should check the transmission fluid filter. I think they rarely get changed due to the location. The body looks great. You'll stay busy refreshing things for a few years, and have a blast driving it while you do. I had a 75 Auto which I loved in a very diff way than my 76 manual.

Scott

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

but someone here probably has a working clock for you. Maybe a wire is disconnected, or a ground wire is tarnished.

Upholstery work will take some time if you're a rookie, but you'll get better & faster with experience. BMW used rubberized pads instead of foam, but many have opted for foam during their rebuilds.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

yeah, it's really weird not having a tach. but that's what i get with the automatic i guess. I think I'm gonna open the dash for this fix after the moulding removal- i have a phone, watch, etc. with all kine clocks!

Very nice! First thing I'd do is add a third brake light. (If it doesn't have one - no pix from that end...)

People are so used to seeing them that a car without one is at risk. Pick carefully and you'll be able to find one that looks pretty stock, too. I got one from a Toyota Tercel (I think it was a Tercel...) and it looks like it was always there.

Steve E.

www.theportabledad.com

1974 Sahara 2002

1974 R75/6 (Sold!) :(

This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it…This Land

Very nice! First thing I'd do is add a third brake light. (If it doesn't have one - no pix from that end...)

People are so used to seeing them that a car without one is at risk. Pick carefully and you'll be able to find one that looks pretty stock, too. I got one from a Toyota Tercel (I think it was a Tercel...) and it looks like it was always there.

Hey, Steve! Didn't know about your book. Just saw the link at the bottom of your post and went to the website. I'm definitely getting a copy for my daughter!

Hope it's a success for you!

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

Thanks kindly! It was one my kids sure needed when they left for college, so I hope it's useful for others, too.

Steve E.

www.theportabledad.com

1974 Sahara 2002

1974 R75/6 (Sold!) :(

This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it…This Land

trim - if I'm ID'ing the style of side trim you have properly from the photos, it's made up of an aluminum base plate, a vinyl or plastic rub strip, and chrome plated zinc ends - unfortunately, this style of trim strip is almost always attached with pop rivets that attach the base plate to the body sheet metal (they're under the rub strip, so you can't see 'em) .

Bad news is that taking off the strip leaves little 1/8" holes - more often than not, there was nothing done to protect the metal when the holes were drilled, so there's usually some rust around the holes. Good news is that the holes are tiny, so welding them back up usually doesn' t cause much panel distortion.

I've removed the same "bump strip" from several cars - on cars where welding holes and a major painting project wasn't in the cards, I've had remarkable success with stripping a small area around the hole to bare metal (need to do that anyway if there's rust around the hole), then dimpling the hole inward with a flathead screw, and filling the area with POR Putty (clean the area behind the hole, too, and add a glob of putty on the back). Once the putty is dry, sand and fill in with touch up paint - it's not a perfect repair, but it looks pretty presentable, and none of the holes I've done have cracked out yet, even on doors......

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)