• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

low budget race car?

Here is some progress i have made on my 75. built the seat brackets, next step is to finish the cage (that i started a year and a half ago) with mounting spots for the 5 point seat belts that are going in. Car still runs and drives... seats will be a big step, after the cage is complete ill paint the interior with some kind of textured paint. Still need to do some research on that though, any suggestions? Then ill be thinking about selling

post-3173-13667608607445_thumb.jpg

post-3173-13667608609187_thumb.jpg

post-3173-13667608610769_thumb.jpg

post-3173-13667608611819_thumb.jpg

post-3173-13667608613038_thumb.jpg

what class/series are you building it for? gotta know that. that is what drives a race car build.

to be blunt, that cage looks scary. the a pillar and b pillar hoops should got to the floor/rockers. did you study other legal and safe cage designs before you started yours?

when building a race car you have to start with the rulebook of the class you want to race in....read it, know it, ask questions, then start building the car to the specific rule set.

marshall

multple scca and bmwcca race cars

2xM3

actually my mentor for the project has been building, racing, and tech inspecting rally cars for SCCA for more years than i have been alive. He's a mechanical engineer and i would trust his cages and ideas with my life. Not building for any certain class just want a autocross car that i can have fun in. sorry everyone who owns a BMW isnt a millionaire that can spend thousands of dollars preparing a race car. the cage is not complete and the entire car has a lot of work to do, i.e. project forum.

the a pillar and b pillar hoops should got to the floor/rockers. did you study other legal and safe cage designs before you started yours?

If you can see in the pictures the a and b pillar hoops both continue to the bar that is welded to the length of the interior almost. If they did not and the car rolled these said bars would go through the floor and have absolutely no purpose, the cage was built to handle impacts from all angles.

yep, i did see that and it is the basic design problem. that cage would not pass any bmwcca or scca safety inspection. but it sounds like you are not really going to race the car so it does not matter. enjoy your build up!

2xM3

the a pillar and b pillar hoops should got to the floor/rockers. did you study other legal and safe cage designs before you started yours?

If you can see in the pictures the a and b pillar hoops both continue to the bar that is welded to the length of the interior almost. If they did not and the car rolled these said bars would go through the floor and have absolutely no purpose, the cage was built to handle impacts from all angles.

For reference (not criticism): Here's a photo from to illustrate what mlytle is speaking about (I believe) - I recall racing organizations requiring a 'foot' at the base of the hoops, spec'd to a minimum number of square inches.

Enjoy the build!