• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash repair, my attempt..

I joined the ranks and tried to repair dash cracks, following the foot steps of fellow 02ers before me. Check the pics. Came out OK, not sure how long it is going to last. I used bondo flexible (2K) plastic compound to fill the cracks, lots of sending, and cleaning, followed by several coats of SEM texture coating and SEM landou black. I don't have a picture prior to repairs. It had three large cracks. So far so good. If it doesn't hold up, I will cover it with a dash cap. SEM texture coating is a nice product, although it changes the original grain to a texture which looks more like flocking.

post-2494-13667608626772_thumb.jpg

post-2494-13667608629925_thumb.jpg

post-2494-13667608632849_thumb.jpg

post-2494-13667608635937_thumb.jpg

post-2494-1366760863877_thumb.jpg

That looks good, nice work. Certainly better than a crack covered dash. Keep it covered when it's in the sun and see how long it lasts. Hopefully you'll get a lot of miles out of it.

This post reminded me that I need to get on top of fixing (or replacing) the dash in my '72).

-Ryan Thor

'72 Sahara tii

Both, the Sun and time. Foam also shrinks over time. Once the foam is split, you are done. I covered the entire dash with texture coating and hope that it will hold over time at least for a few years. I didn't tried to glue the cracked foam back together but rather fill the gaps with a flexible material. Cracks are still there but filled and covered. Once the dash is back on the car, cracks should not propagate, but who knows. Failure rate on dash repairs is like 95%, unless you send it to Just Dashes and hope that it will look close to original. Few examples of Just Dashes' repairs I have seen had a funny look to them, like the padding felt thicker than the original and grain wasn't exactly the same. I heard that dash caps are a good alternative, especially if you put them when the dash is out so you can trim it perfectly. Esty knows how to do it right.

SEM texture coating is a nice product, although it changes the original grain to a texture which looks more like flocking.

What's your opinion on using the SEM texture coating inside the glove box?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Royal Red 69 VW Squareback built 8/13/68 “Patty”

SEM texture coating is a nice product, although it changes the original grain to a texture which looks more like flocking.

What's your opinion on using the SEM texture coating inside the glove box?

It may work, but surface won't be soft. I used Eastwood flocking kits to refurbish the glove box to a great effect.