• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bumper Rubber Fasteners - Still Available

dma

Cleaned up my bumpers this weekend and found the the rubber elements connected to my front and back bumper are connected with these threaded fasteners instead of the clips I see mentioned in other posts. Most of these just broke off at the head when I tried to remove them--very rusty.

Anyone know if these are still available or whether any alternatives are to be had?

Thanks. Lousy picture below.

post-16585-13667608671033_thumb.jpg

I was under the impression that they were cast into the rubber,

and once torn out, you had to get another rubber.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

those were still available as of a year ago when i bought a few. they slide within a channel molded into the rubber bumper strip.

with the exception of the changeover to 12-fuses, these are but another negative design change implemented into the 12-fuse cars, IMHO.

you'll spend a fair bit of change buying all the fasteners and rubber trim to attach to your bumpers which, over time tend to rust into a locked mass of water entrapping angst. add this to the expense associated with the lower trim molding, and its associated rust initiation sites....

but i digress.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Jerry,

Do you by chance have the part number, can't find it in the OEM catalog? BTW, I feel you on the rust situation. I'm eliminating the lower trim however for aesthetic and practical purposes.

Jerry,

Do you by chance have the part number, can't find it in the OEM catalog? BTW, I feel you on the rust situation. I'm eliminating the lower trim however for aesthetic and practical purposes.

i'll have to remember to look when i get home. though i may have thrown the baggie w/ part numbers away in my quest to organize my crap.

i've sworn to remove lower trim from all my 02's, and i consider myself a 'purist'. i'm tempted to remove the rocker trim too, but i have to draw the line somewhere. removing the upper trim would be like removing the grills, so i can't do it, it helps define the car.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

BlueDevils, thank you for the part number. I kept looking at the OEM online catalog thinking that might be it, but it was so tiny that I couldn't tell. Early this morning before you posted, I actually ordered ONE from my local dealership, the sales girl in response said IS THAT ALL YOU WANT TO BUY which cracked me up. She'll be happy that I need about 14 more :-)

Make sure that you dip them in POR 15 or spray them with some rust proof coating/paint. Otherwise, they will rust in a month, I guarantee it. The yellow zinc de-chromate is shit, not good for outside applications. Looks good but won't last. Painting is much better.