• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom Center Console - Share Your Work

dma

In the process of designing a custom center console for my 02 and wondered what others we doing along these lines. Please post pics or send images to mark at dragonbones dot com

I'll post mine when complete in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks

Mark - Here's my version of the centre console. I wanted lot's of potential for gauges in the future and a home for two coffee cups so I built a box using 3mm mahogany ply and overlaid a layer of 6mm fiberglass then sprayed the face with black crinkle finish. An endless number of configurations are possible limited only by your imagination and carpentry skills. The fiberglass work is very basic.

The console sides (which needs to be recovered) are attached to the box which grip clinch nuts so very solid unit. Should still have room for three 2" gauges.

IMG_3565.jpg

Doug

If we learn from our mistakes does that mean I have to make them all?

73 CS Polaris
76 2002a Sahara

Don't have any pictures of it on my work computer, but I built a console for my last non-A/C 2002 before it was totaled. The best method that I could come up with (that worked really well) was to build a rigid metal frame that the front piece and side pieces screwed to with interior screws and speed nuts like these:

Product-20071220151817.jpg

I also mounted my speakers in the side panels. I still have the frame and front piece. It would probably work with a stock shift surround and side pieces.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Esty, is the profile of the side boards the same as the originals? I find myself widening them to about twice their width with every sketch I make...

BTW, already had this pic in my set of reference images, really like the design.

Hey Tyrel,

Love the wood look. I plan to do something similar. Purchased a new mahogany steering wheel and a buddy will make an overlay for me and also gussie up the center console. My kids are begging me for a big screen tv like you have so they will get a kick out of this picture. BTW, what are the other elements on your console?

Esty, is the profile of the side boards the same as the originals? I find myself widening them to about twice their width with every sketch I make...

BTW, already had this pic in my set of reference images, really like the design.

the sides are patterned from an e21 console and the face is as wide at the top as the behr a/c console...

have fun...be unique

If we learn from our mistakes does that mean I have to make them all?

73 CS Polaris
76 2002a Sahara