• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

F/S 1968 M10 motor 0/miles new specs; sleeved to stock N Cal

joeesq

Hi ya'll.

New to the Forum, but I got my '68 2002 in 1973, and drove it for 25+ years, before destroying the body...sigh. I had the car since the first owner, and was so enthralled with it, that I had to return it to stock.

Rebore to .060 wasn't appealing, so I sleeved it to stock bore, and installed new, Flat top Mahle pistons with chrome rings, Glyco bearings, German gaskets, etc. Even new ATE (TRW, now) valves, the best guides and rocker shafts.

The car had a new 121T head, which the PO had installed, when he popped a piston. Rods weighed and re-bushed, oil pump, chains, etc. etc.

I am a tech by trade.

As they say in aircraft parlance: there are rebuilt specs, and there are new specs. This motor was done to NEW spec, and done for myself, back when I was young, rich, and with plenty of time and interest.

So, it has been in bags for 12 years, and I opened it up to inspect and photograph it for sale. No one wants a pig in a poke. Pretty inside, with mirror bores. I put on a new style head gasket. Everyone now uses the turbo style; so did I.

I have all my original gear; alternator, single solex, air cleaner and intake manifold, starter, exhaust manifold, fuel pump, early six bolt clutch cover (the 2000 sedan design), and ground 6 bolt flywheel.

Going with it is a later 2 barrel intake, and the Weber to fit it; can't remember if it is electric or water choke; I never used it, but it looks very good. Ask me about MegaSquit; there's none on this motor.

The bearings are all stock size, as the crank is original (6 bolt), and back then the cranks were all hard nitrided; as, in a salt bath for 3 days; not tuff-trided. They would never wear out, unless you ran it out of oil. The surface hardness was close to tool steel, with a tough, flexible core. The Germans expect that machines will last 20 years in service, which means running 24/7, with service on the fly. Pretty crazy, and certainly expensive.

The cam is stock OEM.

Don't know why I even rebuilt the smog pump; maybe because the gasket set had included the parts. I got it, with all the hoses, in a couple of boxes in the trunk of the car, 36 years ago, and I never used it; not even back East. Call me a pack rat.

I had installed the dipstick tube from a 1600, to skip the ugly, huge air pump bracket. Being a primitive Federal Model, there was no thermal reactor.

Anyhoo, I definitely want the big bucks for this one. Owner Nate, of Optimal Auto, in Sanna Kruz told me it would cost well over $5K to do this now. And he is Pres. of the entire Independant BMW group, and certainly knows prices, OEM and aftermarket.

So, if you need a stock original early 2002 motor, ready to drop into your ride, give me a buzz. VIN and motor #1661448; imprinted on my brain until the end of time.

I have 1600's and other trash.

Shoot a reply, and we can talk. I am in the sticks of Sanna Kruz County, but can call you. I can't get DSL up here; just my dial-up.