• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bad clutch master cylinder symptoms?

jerry

okay, i've been putting off replacing my clutch master cylinder for several weeks. i've felt into the opening of the pedal box and deterimed that's where the leak is draining to. it's been a very slow leak for the most part and i've topped off the brake reservior as needed.

the car has been sitting for the past week as i slowly finish all the little things i've never completed on it. on my way to work i immediately noticed the clutch pedal felt different. the clutch engaged MUCH sooner than normal. additionally, shifting into gears took more effort.

i was able to buy a can of DOT 3 brake fluid at a gas station and sure enough the brake reservior was below the clutch drain pipe. yea, i'm a bad, bad boy. filled it up and saw a couple bubbles surface from the tube.

my biggest disappointment is noticing that my otherwise silky smooth transmission required more shifting effort.

Question: is the poor shiftability a result of air in the hydraulic line and/or a failing clutch master cylinder?

I promise to replace the clutch master this weekend and bleed the system.

I want my silky smooth transmission back :-(

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Do you mean grinding into gears? That would be a clutch issue and should go away with a properly bled hydraulic system. If you mean problems moving the stick around that would be linkage.

Fritz Bimmer

72 Golf

73 Chamonix

66 P car

i think it's best described as difficulty shifting into gears. my shift linkage is all fresh with new bushings, so i'm tending towards thinking it's in need of a new clutch cylinder and proper bleeding.

my concern was that my tranny committed suicide on me....

....for no apparent reason. i've treated it with the utmost respect and kindness.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Probably the clutch is not fully disengaging. Look up the Bill Williams clutch bleeding method in the FAQ.

It's been said before, you may want to consider replacing the slave cylinder while you've got the system opened up. They tend to fail in two's.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now