• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Side Window Molding

jetdog

My '75 is almost ready to go for paint. I have removed all moldings etc. except for the strip that runs horizontally under the rear side window. Does the window need to come out? Thanks. FAQ Kicks Ass!!!

Jim Leadem

Madison, CT.

'72 2002 tii

'75 2002

'07 330ix

'69 Alfa Romeo Spider

'78 BMW R80/7

Yes, remove the window. Peel back the seal at the hinge point to reveal 4 miniature star headed screws.

You will need to remove the window seal to get at the rivets that hold the horizontal "chromed" strip to the body.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely... I unfortunately sent mine to paint with the rear windows in and regret it completely. Remove the window by cutting out the seal on the outside and inside to expose the four screws people mention. After 34 years, the seal is shot and needs replacing.

One of my hinges came out, but on the other only 2 of four screws would unscrew. I opted not to try to drill them out because they looked like they'd just spin under the bit anyway.

Then you'll also want to drill out the rivets on the the horizontal and vertical aluminum trim pieces that are under the window and on the door pillar. When I finally removed mine, there was rust, especially back on the back edge of the window where the latch was. I think I had leaks through the rear window seal over time.

I'd be glad to send more pix and details if you are still hesitant. You won't regret taking the extra time to pull all this stuff off before paint. I did not and I lose steep every night about it!!

Randy

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com