• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lets talk home paint sprayers

gwb72tii

so like the wife thinks we need to change colors, like the entire outside of the house.

this is a pretty big job, and spraying the paint followed by brushing would be a huge time saver.

so i'm thinking i probably need a paint sprayer for 3 or 4 days, but they rent for $90/day, do you can do the math.

for that price i might as well buy one, and there's lots of brands to choose from.

i'm familiar sort of with wagner, but the local paint retailer was talking bout graco and titan sprayers with piston pumps.

anyone out there have any recommendations?

72 2002tii

1988 535is 

I bought one of those professional ones (Spray Tech) at Home Depot or Lowes (I think close to $400), I have used it once in four years. It worked pretty well. What I remember is it sucked the 5 gallon bucket of paint like in 30 minutes, so you really have to move fast! A standard size house (3000 sq ft nowadays) can be sprayed in a day, after all the prep, masking and scalfolding is done, I am talking two coats!

FAQ Member # 91

I recently purchased a Wagner model at Lowes (about $80). It's the electric plug-in model, siphon. It sprays really well, cleans up well, Only issue was that we were using it in a 8x20 paint booth and it was a workout to keep the intake clean. The spray quality was every bit as good as the compressor with gravity paint gun that we were using at the same time. We were shooting oil based paint onto steel.

That said, I think your paint/stain usage will go through the roof compared to brush on, and overspray will be a big concern.

Are you going on siding or shingles or stucco?

I recently purchased a Wagner model at Lowes (about $80). It's the electric plug-in model, siphon. It sprays really well, cleans up well, Only issue was that we were using it in a 8x20 paint booth and it was a workout to keep the intake clean. The spray quality was every bit as good as the compressor with gravity paint gun that we were using at the same time. We were shooting oil based paint onto steel.

That said, I think your paint/stain usage will go through the roof compared to brush on, and overspray will be a big concern.

Are you going on siding or shingles or stucco?

beveled cedar siding

72 2002tii

1988 535is 

I have cedar on my house. When I bought it and replaced all the windows and siding I hand primed front and back of each piece and put on one coat of the color, P&L Juniper, before it went up. Bitch of a job but it holds paint well.

I have one of the brands purchased from Lowe's. Can't recall the name and it is at the office. It works well, but as Michael pointed out, it can put some paint thru it. The thing about painting clapboard is that if you don't paint a clapboard all the way across, you end up with overlap in some areas (blocks) and it is uneven coverage. When last painted, the company sprayed my house and it took weeks for the paint to kinda level and loose the blotchy look. I wasn't happy with it at all. Ultimately it was ok, but I'm still not happy. Another thing about spraying is how much time are you going to take to tape off and cover the trim and windows. One place that sprayer worked really well for me is I have a large screened in porch with 2x12's 12"oc ceiling. It used a LOT of paint but did an excellent job all in all.

I think as important as the method is to have sufficient pump jacks to cover the whole face of the house. Having full span scaffolding two people can really make time. One does the overlap and the other blends the face or you each get a section between windows/corners. Buy the pump jacks/4x4's and rent the aluminum toothpicks.

So, Nevada, Sahara, Chamonix? Colorado...I bet it's Colorado

I have cedar on my house. When I bought it and replaced all the windows and siding I hand primed front and back of each piece and put on one coat of the color, P&L Juniper, before it went up. Bitch of a job but it holds paint well.

I have one of the brands purchased from Lowe's. Can't recall the name and it is at the office. It works well, but as Michael pointed out, it can put some paint thru it. The thing about painting clapboard is that if you don't paint a clapboard all the way across, you end up with overlap in some areas (blocks) and it is uneven coverage. When last painted, the company sprayed my house and it took weeks for the paint to kinda level and loose the blotchy look. I wasn't happy with it at all. Ultimately it was ok, but I'm still not happy. Another thing about spraying is how much time are you going to take to tape off and cover the trim and windows. One place that sprayer worked really well for me is I have a large screened in porch with 2x12's 12"oc ceiling. It used a LOT of paint but did an excellent job all in all.

I think as important as the method is to have sufficient pump jacks to cover the whole face of the house. Having full span scaffolding two people can really make time. One does the overlap and the other blends the face or you each get a section between windows/corners. Buy the pump jacks/4x4's and rent the aluminum toothpicks.

So, Nevada, Sahara, Chamonix? Colorado...I bet it's Colorado

ha ha

colorado on a tii is great, maybe not what the wife is thinking though....

72 2002tii

1988 535is