• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Translucent, plastic container under rear deck in trunk

Last night I was removing the rear bumper and everything that I could from the trunk and noticed the white, plastic container mounted in the trunk on the passenger side under the rear deck.

Can anyone identify this for me?

Thanks,

Samplemaven

BMWCCA #420368

'72 2002 Tii Inka restoration project

'07 550i Titanium Silver, steptronic...ED 2006

That's the fuel expansion tank.

Collects fuel vapor and in the rare occasion fuel when atmospheric pressures cause the fuel and fumes in the gas tank to expand.

At least I think that is what it is for :-), others will correct me if I am wrong.

i just got done futzing with that thing this weekend. it is, as stated, a fuel vapor catch.

don't remove it unless you want some gasoline stink in your cabin. i didn't have one in my trunk for a long while and i think it was the cause of my nasty gasoline smell that crept up on occasion (mostly when the tank was full and after taking tight turns).

i reconnected it and the stink appears to have vanished. just make sure the plastic line running from the fuel tank filler neck heads into the catch and the exit line runs out of the vehicle. originally the exit line ran through the cabin next to the fuel supply line and exited under the hood. i rerouted mine to include a DIY activated charcoal canister in line after the vapor catch and ran the hose under the car where the steel fuel return line used to be. so far, so good...gas stink appears to have vanished.

i'll have a more detailed post about it on my project blog soon.

brad.

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)

You can eliminate the canister and vent to the atmosphere using a euro filler neck and vent tubing. There is a hole in the trunk floor for this just to the left of center at the back of the car.

25.png

70 M2 2.5L 

You can eliminate the canister and vent to the atmosphere using a euro filler neck and vent tubing. There is a hole in the trunk floor for this just to the left of center at the back of the car.

25.png

I had done the same thing with mine but still had a bad gas smell, as mentioned above. There was a significant difference between having the vent tube run outside vs. into the catch, in my experience yesterday. I could clearly smell vapor in the trunk with the tube running outside. But when I ran the tube into the vapor catch, I could instantly smell a difference. It was about 85 degrees out and the gas tank had been sitting outside in the sun while I was repainting it...so I'm sure it was volatilizing quite a bit.

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)

25.png

great for me. It's still strange getting into the car

with no fuel odor!

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

25.png

great for me. It's still strange getting into the car

with no fuel odor!

Don

Never had a gas/vapour smell in the Touring. It's one big open cabin, and, naturally, has the Euro vent pipe exit through the trunk floor. Now, both my running US '76s (have the vapour collect cans in the trunk) have a gas aroma from time to time. Could be another problem, but I will be going vapour collect can delete soon.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Thanks so much for the information. Naturally I will leave the container in place until I pull it out to paint the vehicle...but in the meantime, I'll trace all the hoses and make certain everything is in place...and will try to get to the source of the gas smell in my trunk! In my case, I'm thinking the smell may just be coming from a leaky seal in the top of the tank.

Thanks,

Samplemaven

BMWCCA #420368

'72 2002 Tii Inka restoration project

'07 550i Titanium Silver, steptronic...ED 2006