• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rebuild or new crate?

otisdog

I think I've worked up the courage to undertake a complete restoration of my '74 tii that's been sitting in my garage for the last 15 years. Originally Fjord, it was repainted black under warranty.

My question - do I pull the motor and have one of the reputable California wrenchs rebuild it, or buy a BMW crate motor?

what's more important to you: good value or retaining the original matching motor that came with the car?

actually, i'm sure you could probably get good value with rebuilding your motor, too, but buying a crate motor is generally less expensive i'm told.

personally, i would opt to try to keep the original motor, but that's just me, especially on a tii.

this ONLY applies to cars i regard as more than mere appliances.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

...if you want Quality, a unquestionable BMW 2-Year/Unlimited

Mile part warranty protection, and things like a new cam, 'new'

factory tollerance crankshaft fitted with bearings, new pistons,

all new hardware - go for the premium "Long Block" exchange

for the rest - any other 'rebuild will always have questionable

judgement errors, and for little less , or for the same money in the end.

Compare apples to apples in all the parts when comparing indy rebuild

VS BMW Exchange Long Block

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Sorry for the hijack.

If I wanted a BMW crate engine, will any dealer get me one? Or should I find a Mobile Tradition/ BMW Classic dealer?

I just looked up www.mobiletradition-online.com and found this link under the "engine" heading:

http://bmwmobiletradition-online.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2215&mospid=47140&btnr=11_2359&hg=11&fg=05

What exactly do you get for the $239.34? Even a shortblock would be a steal for that much....what am I missing?

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog