• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This is probably not what you want to hear but here goes. Nothing will just drop into your 02. There are ones that are easier than others. The two that are the most popular are the s14 from the e30 m3 and the m20 baby six from 70s era BMWs. So that may not be too much newer. The problem isn't just the engne but also transmission and fuel systems and wiring and electronics and in some cases cooling. So expct to replace alot more than an engine for a motor swap. What the easiest and least expensive is to buy a M10 engine recently rebuilt. I got one for about 1000 with a cam and head work and hi compression pistons. I then got a new carb clutch transmission distributor headers and exhaust and was looking at closr to 4k total. Now the car is my daily driver and is as reliable as my Lexus. A motor swap would be at least double depending on the motor and what it needed. An older bugger motor may be in need of a rebuild as well which may cost you a few grand on top of the motor cost, install, and additional parts. Look into the m10 options first. Lots of good used engnes out there with a ton of life in them

m20's are from 80's-early 90's...

• 10 months later...