• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Image hosting service...such as Photobucket ???

Samplemaven

One of our forum posters used photobucket to showcase his vehicle. I really liked the result and took my first look at this type of service.

I have hundreds of auto photos, and tens of thousands of vacation and holiday photos that I'd like to organize.

Is this a good way to go? Are your images safe from being accidentally deleted or lost? It looks like the premium service for $40 per year will, among other things, remove the ads from your albums.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Samplemaven

BMWCCA #420368

'72 2002 Tii Inka restoration project

'07 550i Titanium Silver, steptronic...ED 2006

I ended up going to flicker. You cannot organize to good in photo bucket.

Don't count on anyone to save yer stuff. Back up.

If you have Norton anti virus they give you so much free space to back up to and you can buy more space. I would still back up to blue ray or whatever you are using.

get yourself an external hard drive for like 75$

put all of your pictures on there

organize them into folders based on year, or event, or whatever you like

much simpler, no yearly fees, no risk of website hackers getting your pictures, and in my oppinion a much better way to organize your pictures, and any files for that matter

if you want to go crazy get an external with 2 hard drives in it that is set up to run "raid"

that way if one hard drive fails you won't lose any of your pictures, plus it gives you the storage space of about 1.5 times as much as the single hard drive external

School: Cornell University

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Clubs: Delta Tau Delta Fraternity

Cars:

2003 buick DD (grandpa's car, literally...)

BMW 2002 (as soon as i find one...)

get yourself an external hard drive for like 75$

put all of your pictures on there

organize them into folders based on year, or event, or whatever you like

much simpler, no yearly fees, no risk of website hackers getting your pictures, and in my oppinion a much better way to organize your pictures, and any files for that matter

if you want to go crazy get an external with 2 hard drives in it that is set up to run "raid"

that way if one hard drive fails you won't lose any of your pictures, plus it gives you the storage space of about 1.5 times as much as the single hard drive external

Actually, I already have a good sized external hard drive that I use for photo storage and iTunes, but for some reason thought it might be easier to use a web based service to clearly organize my pics...and share these photos with others.

Samplemaven

BMWCCA #420368

'72 2002 Tii Inka restoration project

'07 550i Titanium Silver, steptronic...ED 2006

for organization, id say folders do it perfectly well

but for sharing i guess you're right, you need some sort of web service

you could make a facebook and just create a ton of photo albums of different events

as long as you set everything to public, sharing wouldnt be an issue. but then anyone on the internet could look through your pics if they want, so i guess thats not so great

School: Cornell University

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Clubs: Delta Tau Delta Fraternity

Cars:

2003 buick DD (grandpa's car, literally...)

BMW 2002 (as soon as i find one...)

photobucket has become very difficult in the past year with too many ads and page congestion...i now use www.tinypic.com...simple and easy

another option for safe and secure storage is gmail...each account gives you 1000mb of storage and you can access them via 'g-drive' from your pc's hard drive

I ended up going to flicker. You cannot organize to good in photo bucket.

I'll check it out.

Thanks,

Another fan of Flickr here. Their "Pro" account gives you unlimited picture upload and bandwidth to post online, send to friends, etc etc. Also, it's owned by Yahoo/SBC/Pacbell/the kitchen sink, so no real worry that it's going to disappear soon. I think it was $25 a year for the Pro membership, but you can try it out for free and see if you like it. They have a nice drag-and-drop program you can download that will upload pictures for you easily. You also don't have to worry about resizing/reducing file size with a Pro account, it will give you links to smaller versions if you upload at full res. They also host video now

David

Flickr

'74 2002 - The project

'98 M3

'04 Duramax 2500HD