• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 1602 with euro goodies in San Diego for sale ASAP

castortroysi

Is it  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Is it

• A Whooptie
    • Funky Fresh

IMG_2839Medium.jpg

IMG_2841Medium.jpg

IMG_2842Medium.jpg

IMG_2843Medium.jpg

IMG_2844Medium.jpg

IMG_2853Medium.jpg

IMG_2854Medium.jpg

IMG_2858Medium.jpg

IMG_2869Medium.jpg

IMG_2870Medium.jpg

IMG_2873Medium.jpg

IMG_2876Medium.jpg

IMG_2889Medium.jpg

My story starts in Arkansas, 3 years ago. A man owned and cared for it and even had a taste for style! While he owned it, he gave it a coat of paint, some European Domestic Market goodies, and maintained it. Then he sold it to a gentleman in Memphis, TN. He daily drove it for a period of time under a year and then sold it to me.

I have daily driven this car for 2 years, mostly in Memphis, TN. No matter how cold it has gotten, even when snowing, it has always started and moved me + things to my destination. Three months ago, I moved here to San Diego. The car took me 3000 miles(detour) to here and has been getting me around. I need to sell it now because my company let me go since sales suck really bad. I really need to sell this car.

The car has minimal rust. The side kick panel has a quarter size hole, the floor pan has some rust, and the rear fenders have a little bubbly paint. The gauges do not work. I have been using seat-of-the-pants and a GPS for speed monitoring. For the gas gauge, I have simply kept track of the miles driven each day plus emergency gas can in the trunk. The rear drums and shoes need to be replaced. There is a leaky rear wheel cylinder that causes the brake fluid reservoir to deplete every 2-4 weeks depending on the amount of use. It comes with a brand new one for replacement. Between oil changes the quantity of about a quart of oil must be added which finds its way out through the engine gaskets and exhaust. The engine runs strong, puffs smoke for 4 seconds at start up. On my last drive home, it started to make a speed based clicking noise. Under the car, the sound is coming from the transmission. It was right as I was pulling onto my street and has not been driven since.

In the past year I have replaced the shifter bushings, the front brake rotors and pads, the seats, and the gas cap. There have been other odds and ends and fix-ups like bulbs, fuses, door latches, and nuts/bolts. Just before I departed from Memphis in the car on that 3k mi journey, I replaced the tires and coolant hoses. The carburetor was also tuned. It comes with several boxes containing the original carburetor and paint(called tobacco tan) and things I just haven't investigated. Also comes with extra door panels.

To close, the car isn't gleaming and ready to drive because I am an early twenties guy who hasn't established myself very well financially yet. But with a little bit of money, some love, and mechanical aptitude(from the 60's) she could be everything imagined. The experience of daily driving it, even in the listed conditions, has been amazing. Some call it a ride on a couch. I call it driving as it should be

I'm asking the lowest I would accept for the car: $3000

I can take more pictures and/or resend any of these pictures in higher quality upon request.

Brad Weber

LOL

Are you fucking kidding???? You asked for an opinion and I gave it. Sorry if I hurt your feelings but your car is by your own description rusty, ticking from the tranny and leaking lots of brake fluid; not to mention needing an entire repaint and lots of other work. If you dont like people being honest i would suggest you dont ask for their opinion online.

www.VintageAutobahn.com - BMW Parts & Vehicle Import

Not really sure why u think it needs a full repaint a nice buff and wax and that paint will look great and they to think this car is very original. I would leave it just the way it is. Man that interior is awesome. I think that is a very fare price for a true 1602.

73 colorado orange 2002 in restoration

owned for 30years

71 2002 gone to parts heaven

72 2002 Malaga Sisters

05 Mini S Moms

FAQ member # 31

Indeed, it is. Thanks for your informative input.

LOL

Are you fucking kidding???? You asked for an opinion and I gave it. Sorry if I hurt your feelings but your car is by your own description rusty, ticking from the tranny and leaking lots of brake fluid; not to mention needing an entire repaint and lots of other work. If you dont like people being honest i would suggest you dont ask for their opinion online.

I'm selling the car with its problems since trying to keep and solve the problems myself would drastically raise the price. The condition is at a point similar to what many reconditioned cars have evolved from. Because if you want a '71 1602 in stellar condition, well, you have to start somewhere.

So, please, try and imagine the cost of this car if it was in stellar condition. Since you are knowledgeable enough to comment on the value of cars seen in pictures, you should know the right price. Now image how much it would cost a person with average mechanical aptitude and tools to recondition this car.

After taking me seriously, do you really still think that my price is not fair?

Frankly, I'm not selling the work that has yet to be done. I'm selling the car for what it is. Its still alive, I have my own work into it, others have invested their work into it, I brought it to or near your city, and it has potential. Money is stupid and I just want to be happy and be alive so assholes like you can die in a fire for your unprovoked negative criticism with out any data to back it up when I'm just trying to turn an asset into stupid money during a turbulent time.

No, I did not ask anyone's opinion regarding the price of the vehicle.

Guest Anonymous

Can you please email pictures of the rust/undercarage/bubbled paint?

Thankyou,

Rick

rickysgarage@msn.com

Very interested.

Here are the close ups of the rust and a video.

Driver side kick panel:

IMG_2905Medium.jpg

with 19mm wrench for size comparison:

IMG_2915Medium.jpg

Passenger side rear window:

IMG_2911Medium.jpg

Floor pan:

IMG_2906Medium.jpg

IMG_2907Medium.jpg

Passenger rear fender:

IMG_2910Medium.jpg

Driver rear fender:

IMG_2895Medium.jpg

Trunk lid:

IMG_2908Medium.jpg

Here is a video:

In the vid I went from 2nd to 3rd gear to be sure that it was spun up enough to show the ticking sound again but it did not tick... i even went back out there and put it in gear again and actually put my head and body underneath the car but still it didn't make those sounds. I've been taking apart and reassembling Honda automobiles for 5 years now and have seen and done a lot but these symptoms, and the lack of, don't make sense to me. Regardless, I would really like the weight of this car off my life right now. As much as I love it I have another car that I have more of my past, present, and plans invested in, there for it won the decision to keep. And I need to be down to 1 car, as I need to be able to move to a place that only facilitates one vehicle.

Tomorrow, with the light, I will drive it to the end of the driveway to see if sound is still there and report back here.