• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my first project car, '76 2002 aka "blackie"

im bored at work, so i figured id start this blog a little bit early

i dont technically own a 2002(yet)

but i will hopefully be buying this beauty when i get my next paycheck

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/album.php?aid=89738&id=521727152

pros:

twin sidedrafts

performance cam

ronal wheels

LSD

charm...

cons: (holds hands over ears) "la la la la, i can't hear you. theres nothing wrong with this car. la la la la"

more to come later tonight (if im not too drunk...)

School: Cornell University

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Clubs: Delta Tau Delta Fraternity

Cars:

2003 buick DD (grandpa's car, literally...)

BMW 2002 (as soon as i find one...)

it has silver wheels on it right now because the ronals it comes with have no tread left on their tires...

ok, so here are some of my plans for the project:

realistic, short term plans:

-replace alternator with a high amp unit (since the current one doesn't charge the battery..)

-new tires for the ronals (and maybe a repaint of the gold centers and a polishing of the lips)

-redo interior black with a salt and pepper carpet kit and a matching passenger recaro

-recondition driveshaft (currently it makes a terrible noise when you drive. owner says it just needs to have one of the couplings replaced, but i'll take a closer look before buying it)

-drop rear subframe to repaint it / replace worn out rubber with poly as needed

-strip and repaint underside with por15 followed by some kind of stone guard (after patching the hole in the passenger floor) (not sure what color stone guard yet. probly white or grey, depending on the color match of the white to charmonix)

-strip and repaint wheel wells with por15 followed by British racing green stone guard / spray paint

-repaint the faded bmw emblems. except i dont like blue, so i'll use BRG instead ;-) (purists should probably stop reading now... it gets worse)

-drop front subframe, engine, and trans

-repaint / recondition anything on the engine that needs it

-repaint front subframe (black) and replace worn out rubber with poly as needed

-strip and repaint engine bay (not sure what color), more of the underbody, etc with por 15 followed by something (not sure what or what color)

-fit a set of turbo flares, a front air dam, and sideskirts to the car

-body work!!

- one panel at a time, saving the shell for last, strip each panel, fix any rust hidden under the paint and bondo, rebondo dents, paint with an etching primer, move on to next panel.

-once the entire car is in etching primer i might paint it with a coat of thicker primer to smooth out any small dents. or, if the car is straight in just the etching primer, then its time for paint!

-take it to MAACO for a cheap 5 foot paint job in charmonix or a similar white and get BRG racing stripes right down the middle

-every piece of chrome trim is getting coated in carbon fiber (i have a composites lab at school) (the only place chrome belongs in on the lip of a wheel). except i'll keep the front kidney grill chrome to make it stand out against the black grill

-suspension and brake upgrades as i get the money for them (i already have lowering springs on it, so i just need shocks, and eventually i want 4 wheel disc brakes)

i figure this first list will keep me busy till i graduate and get a real job

less realistic / long term goals:

-5 speed

-more performance (not sure if i'd go the high compression route or the turbo route, leaning towards high compression since it already has twin sidedrafts and a performance cam)

-new, wider 15" rims with black centers and chrome lips to fill out the turbo flares better

-make the drivers side door a lambo style door and make the passenger side door a suicide door (i don't think either have ever been done to a 2002)

-eventually, a real paintjob

i am building this car for me and only me. all constructive criticism and advice is welcome. i don't plan on ever selling this car, or any car i buy for that matter.

more to come in a week or two when i get the car!! (i can't wait)

Cars:

i have 76 2002, the down side is i live in california so i still have to get it smogged, but other than that an amazing car. the one you are looking at sits really low. whats the deal with that...saggy springs, cut springs, lowering springs??? the only other possible thing that can be deducted from the pictures are that it is from New York, so the possibility for rust is incredibly high...that is a turnoff for most buyers. you are right the cam, and sidedraft are a huge score, use that advantage, build high compression like you thought about. good luck on getting it.

'76 2002

'93 325is

'07 Sector Nine longboard

it is lowered

hopefully with lowering springs, i need to double check with the owner, and if the springs are cut that will be a bargaining point

Cars: