• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I love driving my 02, but

am not the kind of person who likes that much attention.

My 71 was a GM brown and just blended in. I could do donuts and no one would find me. Not with this thing though.

23 years with this Turkis and it just stands out more as time goes on.

I am at a stop light today and the guy to the right of me

rolls down his window to ask me what year.

Sorry, I'm not that excited any more to lean over and roll my passenger window down, though I do that a lot, so I give him 7 fingers and then 3 fingers.

Is there an 02 owner public relations support group?

I think I'll get a piece of card board in the car with a big 1973 on it to hold up.

Ray,  Current BMWs, 1973 BMW 2002, Turkis, and 1997 BMW 318i 5sp avus blue.  Drove a lot and sold over the years, in reverse chron.

1997 m3 coupe silver, 1998 318ti red, 1996 318ti red,

1973 2002 Agave, 1971 2002  GM brown

Ray,

Good One...I got an Ohio plate that reads 74 2002 because that is the first thing everyone asks when you are driving a boxy orange car....but it doesn't help...they still ask. Look at the bright side, at least they are interested.

George

74 inka

www.mobileinspections.com Pre-purchase inspections and appraisals. ...."your greatest resource when buying a used vehicle"

I had two people ask me "what year?" this weekend. The plate doesn't help.

edit: Yes, getting the thumbs-up is always fun, and people telling me what a cool car I have and how gorgeous it is, is very rewarding. But even the enthusiasts ask me "what year", which surprises me, and we have Frt + Rr plates here in NH.

post-1748-1366760924629_thumb.jpg

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

you should be happy, my beloved Bacchus (malaga) never gets any attention, not even now that it is freshly painted. The most I get is when I go to Pick and Pull and some Spanish speaking person gets a kick when they see the license plate (oxiourus), and no, if I tell you what it means, I have to kill you.

FAQ Member # 91

The attention is fine, it's just the same old questions from bluntly ignorant people that annoy me. Feels exactly the same, when short people ask me how tall I am-very tall indeed.

In reality, the majority of those who ask just want to estimate how eccentric or out of your mind you are to drive this ancient foreign vehicle on a daily basis.

Apart from this little rant, my 02 has been called " Mr. Bean's car" and "Borat's car" by several idiots.

68' 2002 DD

"...the plate doesn't help..." My plate reads: BIMMR 75 -- & they'll say: what year is it?? On Sat. an MGA driver gave me the thumbs-up on I-675 coming back from Yellow Springs. I liked that; he knew what I had & I knew what he had. FUN.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

when you drive. Golf is a color that attracts the eyes of other drivers, but I never pay attention to the other drivers even at lights as I'm watching traffic (and for cops) and how other cars have their wheels pointed, ready to go when the red light goes out (why wait for the green to come on). The big problem in drawing attention for me is when I stop for gas, and then everyone comes out of the woodwork. I even had some guy give my E28 a close inspection the other night gassing-up as he used to have one and blah blah blah.

The safest way to drive is to stay away from other cars, and that keeps the people who'd like to ask questions (in other cars) away. If one wants to quiz me first they have to catch me, and I make sure they don't.

Inka is no better... I don't have enough fingers to count the times.... Though most of the time it's people weaving in traffic just to catch up with me and give the car a thumbs up... It's nice, I appreciate it, but one day one of them will get in an accident....

On the + side, people seem to genuinely love this car.... When I drive the old Porsche, most people just assume "rich bastard" ( I know, I asked) - the porsche was cheaper than the 02 ;-)

--------------------------------------------------------------

73 inka 2002 w/ fuel injection & 5 speed, LSD

I'm sitting with my wife and my brother-in-law at a small downtown Indpls. jazz club. We're sitting at a table outside the bar, but right next to my Schwarz 2002. A guy approaches, and as he's looking over the 2002, he asks (all three of us realy) "what year is it?" My brother-in-law answers, "why, it's 2009!"

Inka is the worst......Two months ago A driver of a Volvo XC90 drove straight into my front end at a stoplight.Tearing off the right front body panels etc.

Bad day......................but there is some good news. the car is is up for sale or parting out.Call me if you have any interest.Write me at jgm at starpower dot net

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

But the Volvo driver is making a lot of Cali. one owner parts available to finish projects,upgrade,your call.

Jonathan

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

Blunt,

Please not in the Colorado Dream Machine....................No Happy Hummer I hope.