• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my quick build

So cruising through Sycamore's B&O junkyard, sat a little '74 2002. I Upon inspection, it's rusty, no clutch, old varnished gas and flat tires. Oh well, I purchased junk before so this time would be no different.

5-23-09mikhaila225.jpg

5-23-09mikhaila223.jpg

Dragged it home, filled the tires up with air, bleed the clutch and changed the plugs and fluids....it ran...and drove!

5-23-09mikhaila222.jpg

5-23-09mikhaila224.jpg

So I pulled off the safety bumpers, added the turbo flares, new headlights and a quick cleaning. The gas tank is rotted, but i'm using a boat gas tank. I just need to find one more wheel and then some new 13" tires. If I don't find another matcher for cheap, Ill go with some low offeset Rota rb's either 13x8 or 15x8 (depends on how much cash I have)

funny001.jpg

funny003.jpg

the end result i would like my car to look like this. I just have to get the front air dam. I don't believe I'll put any type of bodywork into the car. if I do it will be caked with bondo and some single stage paint.

2923073715_2a864e4aa4.jpg

This was just a quick project to have something for this summer. I'm still working on my 1952 Deluxe (which I have the motor in now!) Still having the october deadline

*UPDATE*

I have the fuel cell in,

Wheels and tires are on and cleaned out the carb, but I can't get the choke to work properly. I think it's the type that you put the pedal all the way to the floor to engage the choke- atleast it looks like it.

one other thing is I have the four piston front calipers and one of the pistons is hanging up on me. Autozone has them. Does anyone have experiance with them?

The last thing I need to do is give 'er a good cleaning

what011.jpg

what015.jpg

So, next week i'll knock out the body work and paint it white. I'll be using a single stage enamel like Centari. It will be white with the flares being white as well.

I really like the turbo front air dam, Anyone know where I can get one?

A few other things once it's painted need to be taken car of. First will be the ride height. WAY too high, since i'm on a budget, i'll just go with springs instead of coil overs (my daily is on coil overs)

Then a little performance exhaust, not for performance just to sound a little tougher. Center exit.

Also I would like to put a roof rack similar to what the vintage air cooled VWs run.

here's my other project

DSC_0012.jpg

here's my daily

DSC_0010.jpg

Love it.

Mind posting pics/specs of the fuel cell?

I'll take some pics later this week and post up for you. Basically I removed the og tank since it was split at the seam and leaking, and used a piece piece of wood as a template for my cell. It's mounted in the same location as the og gas tank and it's a 8 gallon cell.

Gene,

what's the 411 on the Chevy lead sled?

i'm seroiusly considering a '53 Sedan, 6-Volt, auto, 80K miles, all original except for a gray metallic respray.

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA

"To live life without belief is more terrible than dying...., even more terrible than dying young." Joan of Arc

"It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society." J. Krishnamurti

Gene,

what's the 411 on the Chevy lead sled?

i'm seroiusly considering a '53 Sedan, 6-Volt, auto, 80K miles, all original except for a gray metallic respray.

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA

Hey Randy,

Those 53/54s are sweet looking cars. That's what I really wanted but the price and condition of my car was too good to pass up. (condition as in "rust free")

I have a carburated 350, w/ a single turbo system from Rajay, meant for a late 70s type corvette. 700r4 trans and a gm 10 bolt. I'll be running g78-15 wide whites. I have all the parts just now i need to take a few days of and put it all together.

I also am in the process of converting it to disc brakes in the front whilst keep the OG front suspension. (once I sell my 2002 i'll upgraged to a mustang II)

Gene,

that Chevy is gonna be sweet! i've got a 283 lying around for some use. maybe the '53 that i'm looking at? BTW, the Sept '09 StreetRodder mag has a '49-54 Chevy section. i just picked it up today. it's pricey if you don't have a subscription, but i love devouring it.

if the economy was getting better, i'd buy the '53 to have as a "hedge fund".

it's a running and driveable car, too. you can't even hear it running it's so smoooth. needs state inspection, tires, and rear wheel cylinders.

IF i didn't have 7 old Bimmers at the house, i'd have this '53.

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA

"To live life without belief is more terrible than dying...., even more terrible than dying young." Joan of Arc

"It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society." J. Krishnamurti

Guest Anonymous

took my 2002 out today for a quick drive around the neighborhood. While I was out I was stopped by a few people that loved the car. (eventhough it's all rusty)

A few things need to be done:

the caliper is still sticking-well it should "still" be sticking since i have yet to do anything to repair it

I didn't bid on the turbo bumper on ebay, it had a crack. I'll just dish out the money for a new one from BMW

I really want to put a louder exhaust on it.

Here's a fun pic that was done with a free trial software hence the watermark

DSC_0023_4_8_2_tonemapped.jpg

Guest Anonymous
Haha, very nice. Are those 205 tires?

Will look great with a drop! Just don't get the fuel tank too close to the ground...

They are 195/50-15s. Those were the cheapest tires I could get from my company.....$30 each and they seem to be just fine. They ride smooth, and they are quiet. I have yet to balance the tires, but I think they are close or within limits. I had the car up to 72mph and had no vibration.

Check out the Ireland SS enhaust system. Buy the center exit version for the later cars, I've got a '71 and since it all bolts in the rear s-bend always fell down on me. I cut the straight section from it and now I have a center exit that exits below the body panels so I didn't have to cut any sheetmetal. With out that little 10" straight piece the car is loud as hell, with it the car sounds really good for the ~120hp it has. I'd run it with out the little section but it was too much while idling in traffic.

Haha, very nice. Are those 205 tires?

Will look great with a drop! Just don't get the fuel tank too close to the ground...

They are 195/50-15s. Those were the cheapest tires I could get from my company.....$30 each and they seem to be just fine. They ride smooth, and they are quiet. I have yet to balance the tires, but I think they are close or within limits. I had the car up to 72mph and had no vibration.

$30 per tire???? Could you get me a set? I'm not too far from you and I could come and pick them up. Let me know?