• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

those knowledgeable in Alpina A4 configuration, help plz

jerry

Jason, I just saw your question. That slot is a rough adjustment for the air and fuel mixture. If I were an engineer I could splain it better. But if you will notice that allows for adjustment to when the butterflies open in relation to fuel position. The wheel determines how much it opens.

Does that help?

I guess driving that motor from Maryland to Colorado, North and South Carolina, upstate NY, VA, PA, DC, DE, NJ, WV and most days in MD does not qualify for "using your equipment". I need to use it more to keep up with you fellows.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This shot may give you an idea how that slot allows you to adjust the air and fuel mixture. Once adjusted, that ball is tightened into position, it does not slide during operation. Humm, my spring clip is not showing in this photo. I need to go check it. Dang!

You can also get a clue as to how I fabricated my cable set-up. I bought it from Pegasus Racing. I used the clevis set-ups at both ends. I had to remove one of the ball ends on the linkage to accommodate the clevis end.

P4150450.jpg

The little stop screw very near all we speak of is to keep the butterflies slightly open. Alpina says if the butterfles are allowed to close completely, the heat cycle may prohibit them from opening at all.

Linkage to block:

p2151030.jpg

Linkage at pedal box:

Pedalboxlinkage.jpg

Intakemanifoldend.jpg

Cablewithtape.jpg

I did NOT use the Heim fitting shown on this one, The stirrup style thing seems to work better

084Throttlecablebracket001.jpg

080Throttlecable004.jpg

Back to cleaning!

FAQ member #5

Excellent photos Bill - I now have a model for the throttle cable. I was going to wing it with a VW Rabbit cable I found at a junkyard and now may just buy the parts needed.

You also beat me to the punch on providing better photos of the u-shaped retaining ring, you all let me know if you need more photos, but otherwise I won't dissemble mine (but can if required).

I am very intrigued with that slot. I have my car tuned pretty well with the fixed points but that may add just enough variance to make it even better. I hesitate on cutting a slot in what I have though, so may have to make another complete linkage first. It's good to have goals to fill in the spare time - all 5 minutes of it.

Michael, I'm sending the airbox to you in tomorrow's mail...

-Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

My take, if you are happy with it, leave it alone. I move things one bit one way or the other, or the weather changes by 20 degrees and the car wants to backfire a bit on decel.

It is right on the line of running lean but I do not want it any richer.

FAQ member #5

thank you very much Bill and to all others who contributed to the knowledge base on A4 setups. i will pass this link on to Gary Bieker. i think this should answer all questions.

one more question:

of the two airboxes shown, am i to understand the shallow one is for the 2002 and the deeper one is for a 320i?

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

We love you Bill! You have set the standard in preparation and cleanliness and I know the photos you have are when everything was freshly cleaned and new... You have already driven your car more than I have driven mine. :-)

I reap the benefits of your documentation habits... it's much appreciated.

-Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

Genuine Chinese from Lowes! You use what you have or can get.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Carry on gents.

I love you fellows too.

FAQ member #5

My setup does not have the "spring thingy" on it. Also, there is no connection or port in the manifold for the tii cold-start valve. The PO inserted the cold start into the airbox (between the air horns). As others have noted, there seem to be minor differences among these setups.

Garry

post-432-1366760960232_thumb.jpg

03' Mini Cooper S

73 2002tii A4 (sold )

67 Mini Coooper S (sold 3/06)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Few questions regarding A4 configuration.

I have original ALPINA A4 throttles without flaps and axles etch.

Is there suggestions for axles or flaps or needles? Weber or Solex or something else?

Also what are those fasteners in axles between throttles?