• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suggestions wanted on my next BMW purchase

jgerock

After seeing so many nice Bimmers at shows and here on the FAQ, I'm trying to decide what my next one will be after I sell the VW.

I know "everyone has an opinion", but I'd like your input as to another car (other than another 73tii). The color choices are secondary - I'm just trying to narrow down a year and model.

I like the clean looks of a '71 2002 (Aubrey Day's excellent Chamonix for example), but have no idea about all the minor differences and troubles that the "older" cars can come with (i.e. wiring, fuses, rust, seats, seat belts and parts availability.

Based on ownership of my current car, I prefer to stay away from one with A/C and a black/brown interior.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Jim - Here's my 02 cents;

You've got the "street legal" hotrod in the Tii. Now - try on something different - Like a Turbo or a Targa. I think if I was going to do it again, I'd get a targa.

Good luck.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Well, I guess I should have given more thought into my post than just "what to you recommend".

While I'd love to have a Turbo or Targa, I cannot justify the initial expense of one, nor the specialty replacement parts. I'm thinking of a 70-72 carb'd 2002 that I could possibly turn into a ti clone. Since I like dual carburetors, I would add either a factory Solex 40PHH setup or 40 DCOE's, along with a mild cam and ti/tii exhaust manifold.

As far as a budget, maybe $4 to 6K for a nice complete car to start with. Condition of the car will ultimately decide on a price. I will have to sell my long-term VW before any purchase is finalized (I have no room!).

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Jim Gerock

E24 6 series are definitely cool, but if you're already into a 02s and want something different, I would look at building up a hotrod Bavaria or E12 5 series. They are clean, pretty cars that most of the car community seem to have forgotten, and have a hell of a lot of potential with 3 side drafts, cam, and header on that M30, especially if that M30 is a 3.5 liter instead of the normal 2.8. I would have done it myself, if I didn't already have 3 project 02s in the stable...

73 Sahara

76 S52 swap of dooooooooom

01 540i-6

90 Range Rover classic (because 02s just weren't masochistic enough)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm trying to stick with either the 1600 or 2002 series (12V) for simplicity (remember I'm still a newbie).

Bavarias, 3.0's and the other "big-six" cars are OK, but seem too big for me and my limited garage space.

Kidasters: The VW just doesn't get driven enough to get the proper exercise it requires. I've owned it since April 1993 and I did all the work on it except for the paint job. It's reliable that I really don't have to do anything to it except normal maintenance. I don't like the way it rides compared to the tii. My wife complains to me about selling it - as it is the main reason we met back in October 1993 (sniff, sniff!).

I'm afraid that if I don't go ahead and purchase another '02 in the next year or so, they will be way out of my reach when I eventually move to a single family house with more space (townhouse now). I could possibly persuade my parents to let me keep another car outside at their rural house (90 miles away).

Jim Gerock

Jim,

You should keep the Fusca, it's way cool! I was thinking about getting an industrial space, around 1500sf. I need more room, maybe we could work something out for storage.

Best,

Arden

http://ardens-2002tii.blogspot.com/

71 2002, tii, Schwarz

72 2002 tii, Polaris

76 Trans Am, Sterling Silver

96 Volvo 850, Daily Beater

Parts Cars: 73 2002 Malaga, 74 2002 tii Granatrot & 76 2002 Verona

Jim, I like the ti clone that you are thinking about. You know that's where my heart is.

I like the ti concept because they were never shipped here. I have the badge and the manifolds but I'm a little shaky on getting the carbs and actually doing it but I like the thought and it's the thought that counts; besides as long as I don't do it I can always have something to wish for. So if you go that route maybe just maybe I can live vicariously through you since you’re a neighbor

Thanks Terry.

I see where Jaymic sells ti manifolds but don't know if they are originals or reproductions. I wonder if the ti rear badge could be made by cutting off the last "i" from the tii one.

I've recently read on-line that certain Mercedes models came with (possibly) 44 PHH Solex carbs.

I really like the idea of a ti clone, but wonder about the Solex carb parts availability.

Jim Gerock

Thanks Bill. I know someone close by that has a set of 40 DCOE's that may be up for sale in the near future :-).

Is your engine still together after we pulled the subframe from the "race car"?

Jim Gerock