• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Ticking Noise under the hood

DUDONLY

Hello All... I have a strange ticking coming from under the hood the other day it was a slight sound today it's loud and I am just baffled I did a search and I used the advise to check the exhaust gasket for leaks... the fan blades for clearance.... and the valves all OK. Normally pretty good with the diagnostics but not this time..... There's a ghost in the machine !!!

Thanks for any help.

Dudley

71 BMW 2002 "Von Eiff" gone baby gone

73 BMW 2002 " Mingus "

04 BMW X5

75 Triumph Tr6

00 CLK 430 Conv

Honda Elite Scooter

Vespa Ciao

Working slowly on the cars, should have the white one "done" in a week (are they ever done?) and will take to the Chicago get together. Job wise, she is still the bridesmaid both at NCU and Arkansas. Afraid I'm stuck in the frozen tundra for yet another winter. I'll send some pics and give my best to Trudy.

Fritz Bimmer

72 Golf

73 Chamonix

66 P car

OK 72 golf you got me thinking if it sounds like a duck....your right a lot of things under the hood make a ticking noise and they all have their own familiar sound so I started the car and put my hand all over the exhaust manifold because the ticking sounded familiar I just couldn't feel the leak. As it turns out it is a torn exhaust manifold gasket. It's leaking from the gasket closest to the fan making it sound like a fan issue.

Thanks for the insight.

71 BMW 2002 "Von Eiff" gone baby gone

73 BMW 2002 " Mingus "

04 BMW X5

75 Triumph Tr6

00 CLK 430 Conv

Honda Elite Scooter

Vespa Ciao