• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bryan's 74tii

Looking great, Bryan!

Looks like the IE radiator fit very well, even with the stock fan still installed. I read some comments from other owners saying that it fit too close and the fan couldn't be used.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking great, Bryan!

Looks like the IE radiator fit very well, even with the stock fan still installed. I read some comments from other owners saying that it fit too close and the fan couldn't be used.

It did fit nicely. Before I even test fit the radiator in there I replaced the trans mount (put in a 320i one) and the motor mounts. I made sure I reinstalled the "slide guard" on the passenger side mount and inspected the mounting plate the driver side mount bolts to.

The IE radiator is exactly the same depth as the stock radiator. It is slightly wider so a slit may need to be cut in one of the radiator "mounting plates" to clear the battery tray (I did NOT have to do this but it was tight).

It was a perfect fit, so I am a little perplexed by what I've read to the contrary. Perhaps IE has changed the design of the radiator recently?

Bryan

Current: '74 tii; '05 Audi S4; '10 Triumph Scrambler; '07 Mini Cooper S convertible

Former: '11 Infiniti G37s; '10 370Z; '85 911 coupe; '01 Audi S4; '84 VW GTI; '70 VW Karmann Ghia convertible; '76 Datsun Z

Bryan - you've done a lot of work on your tii. Congrats on doing it outside at a townhouse!

Thank you. But just to clarify - the upper and lower engine rebuild work was done by Nashville Autohaus.

They were excellent and I recommend them to anyone.

Thanks,

Bryan

Bryan

Current: '74 tii; '05 Audi S4; '10 Triumph Scrambler; '07 Mini Cooper S convertible

Former: '11 Infiniti G37s; '10 370Z; '85 911 coupe; '01 Audi S4; '84 VW GTI; '70 VW Karmann Ghia convertible; '76 Datsun Z

Hey Bryan,

Regarding the bumper tucking, did you dismantle the shocks or just drilled out the fluid?

The reason I ask is that if you were able to dismantle them, would it be possible to cut the the smaller diameter tube short, and put a small (valve) spring in the larger tube and still have some bounce to work with.

Just a thought.

Justin

The question is not that we broke a few rules or took certain liberties with our female guests.

We did ;)

Charlie don't surf!!

Hey Bryan,

Regarding the bumper tucking, did you dismantle the shocks or just drilled out the fluid?

The reason I ask is that if you were able to dismantle them, would it be possible to cut the the smaller diameter tube short, and put a small (valve) spring in the larger tube and still have some bounce to work with.

Just a thought.

Justin

I ditched the shocks and made new mounts out of PVC pipe. I "notched" the ends to clear the tack welded bolt of the bumper mount (so you had to slide the mount over the pipe end from the side).

All I really wanted to do was mount the bumpers securely and closer to the car. As far as I could tell, my shocks were seized. I'm planning on converting to chrome bumpers when I paint the car (a VERY long time from now).

Sounds like an interesting idea. Mine, especially the rear, are so close that any compression would probably hit the body.

Bryan

car looks good. i can't believe you did the suspension in a parking lot (and from what i see, no shade!) air tools or just regular hand tools?

Thanks. I only have hand tools and it did get pretty hot in the sun! It really wasn't that bad, just time consuming. I had to clean up completely and take the car off jack stands in between each day of work. Spring time in Tennessee brings lots of rain, so there were several times when I was doing "wind sprints" back and forth to get my tools inside.

At least now all the major work is done. I'm happy, and so is the real estate agent who is trying to sell the last few of these town homes!!

Bryan

hey! nice!!! very nice!!! quick question....who did the radiator? was it bought like that or made custom? i use a turbo rad and wih the s14 engine, i'm always looking for cooler methods. it gets cambodia hot in s. fla.!!!!

thanks

hendi

miami fl

hey! nice!!! very nice!!! quick question....who did the radiator? was it bought like that or made custom? i use a turbo rad and wih the s14 engine, i'm always looking for cooler methods. it gets cambodia hot in s. fla.!!!!

thanks

hendi

miami fl

It's from Ireland Engineering: http://www.iemotorsport.com/

Radiator here:

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=ireland&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=773449122&Count2=690589547

Thanks for the compliment!

Bryan

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some updated pictures of the car. I finally cleaned it. The center console is, also finally, complete.

post-16186-13667610704778_thumb.jpg

post-16186-13667610705646_thumb.jpg

post-16186-13667610706218_thumb.jpg

post-16186-13667610706994_thumb.jpg

Bryan

Next steps, in no particular order (because they sure won't get done in any particular order!!!):

Drop the front another 1"

Get the console gauges wired up

Get the tachometer and horn working again

Restuff the seats

Serious interior detailing

Undercarriage detailing

Engine bay detailing

Window seals...

Front/rear strut braces and battery relocation

Suggestions?

Bryan

Great looking 02! Kudos to doing the work at a townhouse...I know how that is. I used to live in hendersonville, TN and did work on my 02 outside. Standard procedure was to get all the tools out there, jack the car up, work, drop the car and clean up. Spent a good hour or so, hauling tools back and forth and lifting/dropping car. We need to get together sometime. I'm starting my semi restoration on a budget on my 02...it is overdue.

Next steps, in no particular order (because they sure won't get done in any particular order!!!):

Drop the front another 1"

Get the console gauges wired up

Get the tachometer and horn working again

Restuff the seats

Serious interior detailing

Undercarriage detailing

Engine bay detailing

Window seals...

Front/rear strut braces and battery relocation

Suggestions?

What a transformation - looks great! My suggestion would be to do the things that cost the least amount of money first - detailing and dropping your front. From your list I would recommend a front strut brace as the next purchase item. Both of my 02s have them and it is totally worth the price when it comes to the suspension feeling solid. You have already updated a lot of your suspension pieces and adding the front brace will really make a difference. I use the brace sold here on the FAQ (I dont think it will fit over your intake) and the Ireland Engineering brace (tii fitment) on the M20 powered 02.

Just my 02 cents....

What a transformation - looks great! My suggestion would be to do the things that cost the least amount of money first - detailing and dropping your front. From your list I would recommend a front strut brace as the next purchase item.

Just my 02 cents....

Thanks. I've already started on some of the engine bay detailing. I think this weekend I'm going to drop the front and "safety wire" the bottom of the springs to the lower strut perches.

Thanks for the advice on the strut brace. It's on the list. I'm going to have to hold off until I can replenish the "covert 2002 budget" (that I will deny any knowledge of if my wife asks)!!! Seriously though, I'm going to tackle the stuff that just requires some time and elbow grease - very gratifying to get it done.

Thanks again.

Bryan

Bryan