• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bryan's 74tii

Okay, so I cut a full 360 degree coil length out of the IE stage ones and here is the result. I'm very happy with the result.

As far as stiffness goes, yes, it is a little stiffer. BUT, what is nice is that these are Stage Ones to begin with, so it is not too stiff. The IE springs are not a progressive rate spring so the resulting increase in stiffness is predictable.

I have not done much else lately. Custom closet project in the house was calling my name... LOL!

I did just have to disable the valve (so it is always open) in my t-stat. Seems that it stopped functioning properly after less than 2,000 miles. So now it is always open and car runs plenty cool. I'll just have to put a new one in before the weather gets cold, which is not until about December here in Nashville.

I have done some minor engine bay detailing and have noticed my vacuum lines are in need of help. So here's the order of things to come:

1. Replace front brake pads (keeping it stock).

2. Vacuum line replacement

3. Secondary fuse block for my console gauges, fog lights, etc.

4. Actually hook up the console gauges

5. Detailing engine bay

6. I'm going to try to wet sand the aluminum trim with 1000 and 2000 grit paper. It's way beyond the help of polish alone.

7. Tighten up the steering box - I'll probably do this some time during the vacuum line replacement

8. Keep detailing the outside.

9. Some general interior detailing.

10. Front strut brace.

I'm entering the car in a show here in Nashville in October. While there are many classes for Mustangs, Corvettes, etc. there is just one judging group for German cars (all years modified and stock)!!! Maybe I'll have a chance! Any way it turns out it will be fun to show the car.

post-16186-1366761269173_thumb.jpg

post-16186-13667612692524_thumb.jpg

post-16186-13667612693348_thumb.jpg

Bryan

Current: '74 tii; '05 Audi S4; '10 Triumph Scrambler; '07 Mini Cooper S convertible

Former: '11 Infiniti G37s; '10 370Z; '85 911 coupe; '01 Audi S4; '84 VW GTI; '70 VW Karmann Ghia convertible; '76 Datsun Z

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice Job1 What type of radiator is that/ Where did you get it?

Thanks! It's the Ireland Engineering aluminum radiator for '02s.

Here's what I wrote to another FAQ person who asked about it:

Before I even test fit the radiator in there I replaced the trans mount (put in a 320i one) and the motor mounts. I made sure I reinstalled the "slide guard" on the passenger side mount and inspected the mounting plate the driver side mount bolts to.

The IE radiator is exactly the same depth as the stock radiator. It is slightly wider so a slit may need to be cut in one of the radiator "mounting plates" to clear the battery tray (I did NOT have to do this but it was tight).

Bryan

Current: '74 tii; '05 Audi S4; '10 Triumph Scrambler; '07 Mini Cooper S convertible

Former: '11 Infiniti G37s; '10 370Z; '85 911 coupe; '01 Audi S4; '84 VW GTI; '70 VW Karmann Ghia convertible; '76 Datsun Z

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got busy with the gauges. My wife is out of town (with the camera) so I don't have any progress pictures.

What I've done is:

Remove gauges cluster, clean, fix the tachometer, and replace all light bulbs. The difference is amazing - the gauges really have a nice lighting to them with an extra bright glow just inside the bezel.

Center console gauges - I've been very busy making a wiring harness of sorts. Loose wires really irritate me not to mention that they tend to come loose over time as well. I've also installed an auxiliary fuse block and run independent 12 gauge grounds for each gauge.

I have all the power lines run to and from the fuse block. Each gauge will have its own fuse and ground. The lights for the gauges are fused together with the same ground since that won't affect the accuracy of the gauge.

All I need to do now is install the oil pressure and temp senders and run the wires for those and the water temp.

I will post some pictures when done.

Bryan

• 4 months later...

Update:

Finally bought a front sway bar. Originally ordered the one from IE, but decided to go with the one from Top End Performance. It's a lot beefier, triangulated, and has a pretty cool engine brace. Weather has been cold, snowy, and wet lately - so no install and no pictures yet.

Center console is done. I need to test the water temp gauge for accuracy. Registers around 200 degrees. But that can't be right. Perhaps my ground is not as solid as I thought.

I also figured out a way to modify my floor jacks so I don't have to use wood to keep from denting my frame rails.

I'm getting the itch to get some work done so I"ll post more soon.

Bryan

Update:

Finally bought a front sway bar. Originally ordered the one from IE, but decided to go with the one from Top End Performance. It's a lot beefier, triangulated, and has a pretty cool engine brace. Weather has been cold, snowy, and wet lately - so no install and no pictures yet.

Center console is done. I need to test the water temp gauge for accuracy. Registers around 200 degrees. But that can't be right. Perhaps my ground is not as solid as I thought.

I also figured out a way to modify my floor jacks so I don't have to use wood to keep from denting my frame rails.

I'm getting the itch to get some work done so I"ll post more soon.

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Update:

Damn, I wrote long story about sway bar, strut bar, roll bar, anti-roll bar, roll cage etc. but it disappeared. Anyway I think you bought a strut bar :-)

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Update:

Damn, I wrote long story about sway bar, strut bar, roll bar, anti-roll bar, roll cage etc. but it disappeared. Anyway I think you bought a strut bar :-)

Tommy

Ooops. Yeah, I meant strut brace. Installed today, although only at the strut towers. It's not attached anywhere in the center and I have not put the engine brace on.

It makes a nice difference. I noticed it immediately.

Bryan